1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass LMII + power amp...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzcrime, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Hi guys,
    This may have been asked a million times before but I couldn't seem to find it in the 'search'.
    Just wondering if it is possible to use the Markbass LMII head as a preamp through a power amp to increase its power? This might be a stupid question. If so, I apologise!
    Thanks,
    Brett

2. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Hi Brett, you could do this however there are some things to keep in mind. You should be able to take the balanced XLR output to a power amp (which is post eq/filters). The 2 issues are, 1) you will not be able to use the master volume control on the MB head to control the signal to the power amp. 2) You will no longer have the XLR available on the MB as a DI now that it's going to the poweramp.

I've tried it and it seemed to work as long as you use the power amp's volume control for your stage level.

Hope this helps.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The LM2 is 500 watts. If that's not enough, I'd take a look at what cabs you're using.

4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yes...outside of some outdoor festivals (that probably have PA support) I couldnt imagine where you would need more power. I have a heavy handed drummer, keyboardist, two guitarists, and one loud singer (and everyone else sings backup) and I dont need to turn it up very much, but to each his own.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I always wondered this too, but was told it can't be done because the LMII doesnt have enough 'juice' to push the poweramp. The DI idea is something new.

I actually would never need more than the 500w of the LMII anyway. I played outside a couple days ago with my LMII / UL112 stack and volume was at 9:30 and gain at 1:00. Tons of volume there. Granted we were not playing excessively loud, but certainly not quiet either.

6. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I've done it quite a few times. DI out post is a good source for your power amp.

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I tried it with an IP310. I used both line out and XLR outs. It did not sound good and didn't drive it well. Tried an iAMP800 too and just as bad. KJung talks about how these are not ideal match ups. That integrated heads sound better into their own power amps. The IPs are actually more sensitive and would take a lesser level than some pwr amps. It just didn't sound right. The same IP with dedicated bass pres is outstanding. There is more going on in these match ups than we may see.

(Tom Bowlus pointed me to one of the larger Markbass heads that actually puts out enough voltage from it's line out. That I didn't try as I don't need a large amp.)

Again it worked it just didn't sound at all as good as a LM or F1 or iAMP sounds with it's integrated amp.

If this had worked I would have a had an F1 on my IP a year ago!:bassist:

8. so what amp head sounds good with a poweramp?

9. bumps

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The GK amps have pretty powerful di's as do the Genz amps. I can say from experience that the GK 1001 RB has a pretty nice sound through a power amp, but it's pointless to do so with all the juice it has on tap :)

11. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I thought the LMII added a lot of "good sauce" DI'd to my Mackie powered speaker. But those things have a very wide sensitivity range. And it was just a bedroom test.

Too bad the LMII does't quite work as a rackmount preamp. But for what I paid and how much I use it by itself, I'm not complaining. If Markbass were to offer a simple preamp (rack or even stomp box) that delivered that great LMII tone at a hotter line level, that would be way cool.

If it's just the occasional extra-large setup, you could maybe use a mixer or mic preamp to boost the LMII signal to drive a power amp.

12. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah it is really a shame that Markbass's preamp is so high end. I know it's a vain hope but I'd love to see rack setups make a comeback with the dawn of 7lb-14lb power amps :)