1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass LMK II issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vorago, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Here's the story.

I have a Markbass Little Mark II head with a 2x10 cab (8 ohm).

Yesterday, during rehearsal I noticed something was wrong.

My bass sounded thin and slightly distorted, crackling a bit, like a little amp that is being pushed too hard. There's a slight loss in volume as well.

At first I thought it was my bass (90's ATK). Changed the battery & checked the battery connector (had some issues with this before). No difference. Tried several cables, no difference.

Plugged in a guitar with bass turned up all the way on the guitar, still the same issue.

What I noticed as well, is that it seems to be worse when playing softly.

I don't think it's the speaker because really pumping the volume a couple of times didn't make it worse, so there's no ripped speakercone I think.

I've had this amp for 3 years, always been nice to it, pushing it never over 75% of it's max at certain gigs without PA, and rehearsing with it at 60%.

So, can anyone help me?

:(

2. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    have you been able to try with another cab ?

3. +1 Sounds like a driver might be almost gone, given that it doesn't change with volume. Check speaker cable also.

4. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    Before I started using my LMII with an ampeg cab, I used a markbass traveler 121 cab. I had a problem with the tweeter, making a distorted sound. It stopped when I turned a little bit the tweeter button. Maybe your problem is the same ?

5. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    I wonder if you have the "spiderwebs in the effects loop jacks" deal that can cause problems.

I think plugging and unplugging a cable or using some Deoxit (speeling?) electronics cleaner was the fix...

Hope it is that simple.
    =wr=

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    @Julienjeff; I tried the tweeter button, but it didn't make a difference.

@Wave Rider: I'm gonna try that, I really hope it's that simple :meh:

7. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

May 21, 2007
    SMYRNA, TN
    Get up! Get Get Get Down!
    I have my tecamp puma in the shop now. Kind of the same problems, loss of volume, distortion on low notes for me. Eventually, my amp shot out. They wanna send to Germany, so their techs can checkout.

8. korngold

korngold Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Iowa
    What ended up being the issue with the LMII? I'm having the same problems. I replaced a 10" in my 4x10, and then it started doing the same thing on my 1x12 (which I know is fine). Thought it was my bass after that, since it only happened on one bass (which was new). Then, at the last practice, I had the same issue with the cab with the new speaker while using my other bass (MM Sterling), which I know has no problems.