Markbass MB Mini Boost vs Xotic RC Booster

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, May 11, 2016.

1. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm looking to get one (or both someday :p) of these boost pedals. My question is, which one should I get first? Which one do you think is better value?

image.jpeg

Will I be missing the Treble/Bass feature on the Xotic?
    I have a preamp pedal already, so will that be ideal to have in addition to my EQ?

If you have one, what would you say is the best feature that sets it apart from any other boost pedals?

image.jpeg
    The Markbass has a VPF (scoops the mids). That's pretty much the only thing it has in addition to the boost knob.

There's very little info about these and they're discontinued now. The only video is from Markbass themselves and it's pretty biased toward the pedal, as you would expect it to be. I couldn't really make out how much of it was actually the pedal and how much of it was staged technique changes.

I don't know, I'm kinda leaning towards the RC but don't want to spend nearly $200 on a lack luster boost pedal. I was pretty sure about the Markbass until this morning when I watched/listened to some reviews and started weighing my options.

If it matters, I play rock with a pick and fingers and finger funk.

Your 2¢ is appreciated,

Thanks!

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    If you are open to other options, the sfx micro-boost is hands down the greatest boost I ever used.

pacojas and organworthyplayer337 like this.
  3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I admittedly do like the MarkBass stuff.

4. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Have you tried the MB mini boost before? I'm not overly familiar with MarkBass' products; would you say that a lot of their stuff has a darker characteristic?

5. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I unfortunately haven't. My experience with MarkBass is limited to their tube compressor and then numerous amps in backlines I have used over the years. I wouldn't say their stuff has a darker characteristic across the board. They can be very neutral and transparent by nature. Almost too much.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Are you looking for dark? A good option there can be the Xotic EP-boost. Nice and clean until about noon and then much more wooly.

7. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm actually trying to steer away from it. My amp is already too dark for me, so the transparent thing is good news. Thanks for your input :)

8. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Seriously the Micro-boost is what you are looking for. If you end up not liking it, I would gladly take it off your hands... I would love a standalone one as mine is part of my sfx preamp.

[sfx]:micro-boost

image.jpeg

9. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    You are looking at two very different approaches to mid frequency tone control. I don't think there's much overlap in their tone control capabilities...so I'd advise that you get both.

10. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Can you describe what you mean by their different "mid frequency tone controls"? I think I will end up getting both at some point but I'm just trying to figure out which one to get first.

thanks for weighing in

11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    if i were you, i'd proably look in the "Classified" for a used booster pedal. i have been finding "like new" units for great discounts. when a pedal is purchased new, the buyer will sometimes get super low usage out of it before he decides it's not needed/wanted. i currently have 8 pedals,.. 2 i bought new, 5 are "as new" (barely used), and 1 has very slight "road rash".
    even a "Want Ad" may work in the future if you really get into it, lol.
    btw,.. i use my "Mooer Graphic B" as a booster
    gl whatever you do! :)

ps: @Mosfed,.. is one of the "Breeder Posse". i browse their thread whenever i need input on what's hott.

organworthyplayer337 and Mosfed like this.
  12. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    Sure, the Bass RC booster controls bass and treble only, but offers an overdrive sound too. The Markbass offers clean boost and a VPF control which is a variable band pass filter that cuts out the treble, the more you turn the knob, the lower the cut. If it had a VLE filter (which I think you were confusing it with) then that operates as a mid cut filter for a nice slap tone. But the two pedals are like chalk and cheese...they do different things and target different needs. So if you like them...get them both. I think that the Markbass 4 control distortion pedal is more your thing. It can do clean boost, nice overdrive and it had two really useful mid frequency tone controls. One of which is very similar to the VLE control on their amps.

13. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    But the Xotic offers a clean boost too right? It just depends on how you set the gain knob?

I heard that the Markbass gives a warmer sound, but again there's little to no demo vids of it and they're discontinued.

14. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah, I ALWAYS look for open box or b-stock pedals. I can buy new but I'd rather buy newish :roflmao:

pacojas likes this.
  15. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    lol,.. especially with pedals and amps, but i like my basses brand new unless it's an amazing player! i recently got back into pedals after a long break, so i'm testing the waters. i really love the sounds and tones i'm getting as of last night, ha! (that is subject to change next week) ;)

16. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    I had the RC bass booster awhile back. Great pedal. And the Markbass booster is pretty much what the amp does.

I remember opting to keep RC on at all times cos it was a great preamp, mild eq settings. The markbass would be useful as a contour, for different tones mid-set or whatever.

So yeah, get both.

17. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    So the mini boost's VPF knob is a contour knob? Can you share some tonal differences between the two?

18. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    The VPF knob cuts at a frequency center of 380hz (i think). And it boosts the top end and low end too.

RC bassbooster with the gain somewhat boosted and the eq kept flat made my bass sound more 'refined'. Cleaner or less harsh could be another to describe it.

That said, to me the RC functions as either a preamp or a 'scooped' booster. The MB could either be a clean boost or a contour pedal. I can't imagine any benefits from boosting volume excessively with the markbass while scooping out mids with the VPF.

19. I've got the Markbass Mini Booster. I really only have limited pedal experience and so I haven't used many other options, but I really do like mine.

I don't really use it as a boost though. I use it more as a preamp. It lets me run the volume/gain on the amp about half as high as I would normally, and it produces a massive increase in lowend fatness, as well as "hifi" preamped midrange treble character.

I just redid my rig though. I might set it up as a boost sometime this weekend.

20. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Ok, I think I'll go with the RC Booster first.

Thanks!

sheltjo6 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021