1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass Megathread PART 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassyBill, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
  2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Well its about freakin time! Man that thread was long winded.

3. GRoberts

GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    SmallQuestrian posted: "Whoever suggesting using the LMII as a pre for a Berg IP was onto something. I still have my LMII and haven't got a pre yet and it sounds wonderful drving the IP112. I would keep the LM but it seems like a waste of its capabilities to have a such a nice amp as a pre only."

That was me! I'm using my LMII DI Out into a Bergie IP112 full time. (I do about 80-100 gigs a year.)

For me, keeping the LMII is not a waste at all. Having the onboard power gives me a sweet amp to use at rehearsal. I have an HT112 cabinet there. So I walk in with my little LMII and off I go!

I also run the HT112/EX112 with the LMII Powered head, and then I run the DI into my IP112/EX112 rig for (four), count 'em, four Bergie 112's! :bag: This makes quite an amazing, portable Rig O' Plenty! I use it for large outdoor gigs when I need a fuller, bigger onstage presence. :D

4. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007
    I just got my LittleMark II yesterday. All I can say is WOW! :)

:bassist:

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    It's a conspiracy, I say! :bassist:

6. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    This thread is as offensive as the other. . .

[​IMG]

7. Beachcoma

Beachcoma

Mar 19, 2007
    Utrecht
    I played around with a LMII 1x15+ 2x10 today, and I'm not sure about the cabs, but the head is definatly finding its way to my home soon (maybe X-Mas...nah too long a wait).

8. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    My SA-450 should be arriving any day now!:hyper:

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Someone said that TBers all rave and never point out any negatives.
    So here goes. I believe the folks that say the LM sounds great through Epifani cabs. It was not my choice as a pre for the IP310. I wanted it to be too!
    The power section of the LMII is part of it's magic and it just didn't sound special as a pre to me. In fact as can happen the IP exposes the actual sound of the the bass or pre or player :eek: . In this case for me it just didn't garner the praise in this application that it deserves.
    I've heard Brad use one live with his Nahas. (Yep he gets a royalty check everytime we say Nahas) (Yep there goes another check.)
    Anywho he sounds amazing but with Brad the tone is in his fingers first. Since the MB allows him to reproduce this tone it gets points with me.

10. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    any dirt on the studio pre?

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I agree the MB cabs are ho-hum but the LMII is quite extrordinary.

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Just saw my first player using the LMII last night. He had a MB 410 cab...meh! This was in Devon Allman's (Greg's son) band, and I thought we all deserved better, frankly. I'm looking forward to hearing the amp with some other cab eventually though.

13. I've got a MB15" cab with my LMII...what is it that you dont like about the MB cabs?
    I really like mine but I've never tried it through anythign else so am I missing even more awsome sound (at the end of the day its mainly monitoring for me in the short term so not urgent)
    A lot of you guys seam to be using epifani but I've never seen one of these in th UK.

At the end of the day there are alot of cabs out there which are cheaper then MB for example GK, TE, Warwick some eden cabs and SWR are about the same price.

Am I missig out on something at no real extra cost??

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Where did you get that?

15. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    my new Markbass rig:
    rig1.
    first pic of the megathread! yeah!

16. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    nice one mate... did you get that speaker issue sorted out? You don't run the LMII while it's in the bag do you? It would get mighty hot!!! (can you pm me what you paid for your LMII just for interests sake).. rock on!

17. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    yeah - Nick sorted everything out for me.

It involved a couple midnight and EARLY morning calls. the driver definitely was the issue. but then i had buzzing with the tweeter magnet as well. but a few twists and tightens and its all good.

the Markbass gig bag is really cool though.

18. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    So the bassplayer in this band in this band like the pain of having a bad stagesound? Or maybe he actually like the cab?

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I've never been a fan of using a piece of gear in a situation for which it wasn't designed. So much of the success of a pre into a power amp (or IP) has to do with appropriate gain matching, impedance, etc. The idea that you can just take a DI out or some kind of line out from an integrated bass head into a power amp or the IP and have it be matched optimally 'by chance' does not seem like a reasonable expectation to me.

However, I would agree, using the LMII or any other integrated amp as a preamp is probably not going to give you the tone that the amp designer had in mind:smug:

Also, per the above... LOT's of negative posts on the MB 410... something seems not quite right there.

20. :meh: Hmm I see one negative post (passinwind) and one post which I don't quite understand from bugbass, although I know he is happy with his MB 4x10. Don't really know where you got the LOT's from.

Anyway I've played both the 4x10's with the LM-II (in a studio not on a gig), and they were great. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. The LM-II is a great match for the Markbass cabs (granted I haven't tried their standalone 15's), especially the bigger 4x10 with the front ports. It's loud, super punchy, tight bottom, articulate in the mids, and it adapts very well to the VPF and VLE. I also thought the tweeter was a lot nicer than other mid-level cabinets in the same price range.

These cabs really don't deserve the bad rap they seem to be getting :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.