1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Micromark - Q/A please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eublet, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I'm really considering one of these. Yes, I know about the Minimark, but it's a bit more expensive and larger front to back, so that's not what I want at all. (But I am still eyeballing it a bit.)

I've had plenty of smaller 100-watt combos, and I wind up never using them because I've always had moduluar rigs that work better for me at a gig. So basically these combos wind up being big practice amps with way more possible volume than I need. That's why I'm thinking about a Micromark. Ultra portability...if the sound is there.

I will use it for electric BG only, so a couple of quick questions.

1) Can it handle an acoustic rehearsal, such as with an acoustic guitar or two with maybe a conga player? Not loud, just audible volume in a living room for example. Would the bass sound full at that volume, or would it be that nasty mid-range thing?

2) Does the lack of a VPF on the Micromark detract from the depth of tone that is possible?

3) Anyone have a used one they want to sell me? :D

2. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    My only experience with this amp is seeing one at a jazz jam session in a small cafe. It did a good job of reinforcing the acoustic volume of the URB enough to be heard with a quartet. It certainly wasn't loud but very tiny. I've been using a TC helicon voicesolo vocal monitor and it's been working well for this type of thing. I imagine the Micromark would be better as it's designed for bass.

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    subscribing to this post. I had the same amp in mind for my ABG.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. yes, it will have not so much low end so the mids will be more pronounced. otoh, how good do you need it for practice with a conga and acoustic guitar? i've played one...it'll work ok, but don't expect miracles. i really think the minimark is better for that purpose, or even better is a shuttle 3.0/8t.

2. vpf is useless imho...mid scooper.

3. nope, sorry jason.

5. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    True, but I just want it to sound decent. If I could only try one somewhere I'd know in a 2 seconds if it would work for my needs. I've been considering the Shuttle 3.0/8t also, but that's even more money. Honestly, part of me REALLY likes the Minimark, but it just seems like a lot of money for such a small combo.

Yeah, I never used it much on my LMII with bigger cabs, but for a smaller rig it would be useful to fatten up the bottom a bit, and then use the VLE to tame the highs back down, especially with a passive jazz bass.

I was at my computer last night, and noticed that the subwoofer for my PC is an 8" cube, which is a bit smaller than the Micromark. It has PLENTY of volume for what I would need out of a practice amp. Surely the Micromark is as loud as that, right? I'm just afraid it won't have any bottom to it at all. :help:

6. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Thats why I went with the TC Helicon box. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for the micromark.

7. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I know. Ibanez makes a 10 watt rehearsal combo with a 6.5" driver for $70. I'm wondering if that would do the trick. I started out wanting something small, and now I'm trying to find something that is REALLY small. Maybe I should readjust my thinking here. Ibanez also makes a 20 watt combo with a 10" driver that is still pretty small and light. Only $150, and I'd be done with it. I had a GK Backline 110 for years that worked great, but it wasn't light at all, nor particularly small because of the kickback design. It was always more power than I needed.

What's making me so indecisive is that if i really liked the Micromark I know that it would serve me for years. It's not like I'm going to get practice amp GAS or something. I've got a Roland Cube 100 right now that works great but it's just too big, heavy and has way more power than I need. Maybe I should downsize to the Cube 30.

8. 3202822488_2532b5026f_o.

I find that in standard tuning the Micromark can handle acoustic jams with percussion pretty easily. I generally run an active 5 string into a VT pedal then the Micromark and am able to get enough volume for these situations with a nice amount of low end.

The amount of deep bass from this thing depends so much on where you put it. I try to keep it flat on the floor and backed up into the corner of a room.

It cost me quite alot to buy this thing but it has been so nice to fit you amp in a backpack when you use public transport.

9. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thoughts...

Micromark....the only amp that makes the 3.0-8T look HUGE!!

You can get one at MF (used) right now for $380.15 with 'PLAY' promo.

I would 'think' the GB might be much more useful for just 3 more pounds.

I used the little 8T at a quiet gig and had no problem with volume or tone.

The little Ibanez amps sound bad to me.

All we want is big rig tone in a lunchbox-sized amp....that's not asking too much is it? ;)