1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Mini CMD 121P Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu Rose, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Greetings,

Just got one from GC and boy it's nice and light!

I think it sounds decent but can't handle a 5 strings at all with out fartin up a storm at medium volume, truth is I didn't expect it to. A 4 string at low-med volume will work for a small gig or for a practice amp it's good!

I really wanted the Mini 15 but they're not imported for some reason:crying:

I'll be returning this one to GC!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I much prefer the Mini15.
    It handles low Bs perfectly and gets very loud by itself, without an additional cab.
    It's so light, hardly bigger than the 12.
    Try the 121H if you can.

3. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Stu,
    i'm not sure i understand your post,
    did you purchase the 121p without trying it,
    i have a 121p combo and use a lakland-p
    i've not experienced anything like you described,
    however if you intend 5 string use exclusively,
    you have to look at frequency responses,
    the 121p is 45hz-18khz
    > 121h - 45hz- 20khz
    > 151p - 40hz-18khz mini
    > 151p - 40hz-18khz jeff berlin
    > 102p - 40hz-18khz (2x10)

perhaps you may want to consider the LMK II
    with something like epifani ul 112 or something
    of that nature IMHO

cheers

4. Greetings,

Hi, Yes I bought it by mail order so I could try it. Played it for about an hour at home and realized right away it was not for me (speaker too small for a 5 string).

I also picked up a Mesa Walkabout 12 which is really very very nice but it also lacks the ability to handle a B string at any volume although was much better than the MB in the 5 string area.

So I thought a good light 15 inch combo would be the best, but they're not around so back to the drawing board or I'll keep the Boogie 12 it might be the best compromise and I can add a extra cab to it if the need arose!

5. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I wonder what you call volume. I have the LM II and run it with a BagEnd 1 x 15" and my 5-string sounds great. I also have a MesaBoogie Walkabout Scout 12" and it is full and fat sounding with my 5-string and gets loud. That passive radiator really helps fatten it up. So I wonder what your idea of volume is? You might be better off with small separates than a combo. Combo's cabs aren't as efficient as separates.

6. Greetings

Both the cabs are loud yes but again the 12's cant handle the 5's like your Bagend 15 I'm sure!

I played with some guys last week for fun and they had a Fender Rumble something bass amp on site, a 100 watt with a 15 and the B string was nicer then the walkabout! Not sound wise but the B came out with no speaker distortion.

So I guess it's the 12 inch and not the volume.

Maybe a Mark Bass 15 inch cab and their Mark II will work!

Thoughts?

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Do you have any experience with this set up, or at least the cab?
    Im almost ready to get a UL 112 to go with my SA450 as a stand alone cab. ill be playing a 55-01 and wont really get to try the cab at gig levels before hand. Just worried about the lows distorting although i dont play the low B.
    I only need to keep up with an un mic'ed drummer and a loud fender 40watt valve combo.

8. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    not true . b string response cannot be seen as a function of frequency response. it's simply not as simple as 5hz of extended reponse. not at all.

9. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    No i've never used the epifani ul 112 nor the SA450,
    the last stand alone cab i've used was DR.Bass 1260
    a great stand alone,the ul 112 is just a suggestion
    good luck with your cab hunt..

cheers