Markbass Mini CMD 121P - Stacking possibilities

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lemarcon, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Lemarcon

Lemarcon

Mar 2, 2013
    Hi everybody,
    I own a Markbass mini CMD 121P combo for 10+ years. I always used it as either a combo (350W at 8ohm) or paired with another 8 ohm cab for 500W of power at 4 ohm. It’s such a versatile little beast.

I’m curious about 2 possible configurations I’d like to try:

Scenario A: Use it (the combo) as a cab, bypassing its head. To do so, I’d disconnect its speaker 1/4” off the combo’s back and connect it to the other head using a male to male 1/4” speaker cable and a 1/4” female to female adapter.

My question would be: will any 1/4” female to female adapter do the trick (TRS and/or TS)?

Planet Waves 1/4 Inch Female Stereo Coupler https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0002E52S4...t_i_NQF0VSNRN0JGYA5EBZXG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Scenario B: Use it (the Markbass combo) as a head with an external 4 ohm cabinet (500W), by disconnecting its own cab (disconnecting the 1/4” off the combo’s back).

In this case, I’d have two questions:

• Once I disconnect its own speaker, will the head automatically recognize new the impedance as 4 ohm?

• Should I connect the new 4 ohm cab through the female 1/4” that was disconnected at the back of the combo, or through the speakon female also at the back of the amp (provided the original cab is disconnected from the head)?

Thank you already!

Cheers.

2. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Honestly, I'd do neither. You have a track record of 10+ years of reliable service. Your best scenario is to simply use a NY121P or 121H cabinet under your combo.
    P.S. you're only getting 300 [email protected], [email protected]
    I'm not telling you what to do, only suggesting. If you want a different rig, sell/trade yours or buy another head for your other cabinet. Littlemark3 currently on sale for $499 at MF.
    Good luck

3. Lemarcon

Lemarcon

Mar 2, 2013

Thank you your suggestion! I’m just trying to explore all the possibilities of the amp. I only asked because I read somewhere else that it was possible in general (link below). But I had no specific confirmation that it’d be possible in this combo. Even though the fact that the cab can be easily disconnected from the head seamed to me as a hint that it could actually be done.

Thanks anyways!

https://prosoundhq.com/using-a-combo-amp-as-a-head-unit-or-cabinet-two-ways/

4. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    It can be done. The head in your combo is identical to a LM2 sans the chassis cover.
    You can use either the head or cabinet independent of one another. I just don't see a lot of practicality in doing so.
    That said, it's your gear and I'm sure I experimented with different combinations of gear in times past.
    Also, your head will recognize the 4ohm load. Remember not to go below so either 2x8ohm cabs or 1x4ohm cabinet.
    Hope that helps

5. Lemarcon

Lemarcon

Mar 2, 2013
    Yes, you’re right. The head of the combo is essentially a LM by itself, that’s why I thought it would work.

One of my 8 ohm cabs is out for repair and I’d like to be able to use another head (a hybrid) I have at 4 ohms. The only other 8 ohm I have at the moment is the combo itself.

Thank you!

SJan3 likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021