1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Mini CMD 121P

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbrand, Nov 30, 2006.

1. pbrand

pbrand

Dec 3, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon
    I just picked one of these up from Guitar Center ($799) and I have to say I am VERY impressed!, I have been looking for a small combo amp (I mainly play in a church worship band but do occasional other small gigs) this thing sounds great and has much more depth and character than the GK MB150E I was using, I have used many other small amps (SWR Baby Blue, Acoustic Image Contra, Phil Jones Briefcase) and this is by far the nicest sounding as well as very portable, the VPF and VPE knobs really impart a nice deep sound and the EQ is very useful, (of course having 300 watts really helps)

I also tried the 2x10 Markbass combo but actually preferred this one (it's lighter and I'm old!:), you DO get the Guitar Center warranty for free, I mainly play a Pedulla 4 string MVP bass and I could crank the input gain before the blue clip light would come on, all in all a very nice investment! (now I just need to find a little padded carrying bag for it, anyone have any ideas?)

try one out if you have a chance!

Patrick

2. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    how much louder is it than the MB150?

i like the portablity of my GK but it is always borderline when the average jazz session drummer gets drunk and loud.

and how does it handle a low B?

3. It does a 5 string very well, and it is MUCH louder than a GK.
    300W @ 8Ohm
    Very good sound, for such a small combo, althrough I don't really like the piezo tweeter, sounds weird with slapping.

4. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    much louder in the sense of "another category of amp"?

loud enough for a small club gig with a full band? ie. kick drum, keys, voc miked?

not that i had any funds to get one in the near future...

how is the portability? are the weight specs correct? do you think you could carry that baby on public transport?

5. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    +100,i also went with the cmd 121p combo,
    i asked Peter M in another thread when Markbass
    will be offering tucki covers for the combos,hopefully
    he'll have some insight on this..

cheers

6. pbrand

pbrand

Dec 3, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon
    I think it is in the "next" level up from the GK, you could use it with a full band in a small club setting, the cool thing is if you had to you could add a second cab and at 4 ohms it puts out 500 watts! more than enough sound, Yes it is 29lbs! I was a little shocked when I picked it up,

I liked the tweeter but if you crank up the high EQ you don't here a huge difference so it is subtle to my ears,

Patrick