MarkBass Mini Mark CMD 102p Volume Issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass-aholic, Oct 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Bass-aholic

Bass-aholic

Dec 28, 2010
    West Chester PA
    I own a cat... Owned a cat........... I think it was a cat.
    Was hoping someone here could shed some light on this as I have zero idea what could have happened to cause this.

Went to turn my amp on the other day, only play maybe once-twice a week these days, but when I turned it on, the volume output I was getting started getting lower as I was playing and seemed to bottom out at about 1/3 of the normal volume. Even with the volume knob up full blast and the gain up half way, it isn't even half as loud as it was originally.

I have seen this happen on stereo receivers when people don't turn the volume off before starting them and then play a song, turn it on, and let it kick on full blast, but I have always turned my volume on my amp all the way off before turning it on/off. It hasn't been subject to any blasts and is plugged into surge protectors nor do I just unplug a cable when it is on.

Any advice?

2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I had similar volume issues on my CMD 121p. Also heard of a lot of members here with the same.

All my attempts to repair were dead ends or $400+. I ended up dropping a new LMIII in to replace it. Very easy swap.

Happy to provide more info if you’re interested.

Bass-aholic likes this.
  3. I had this problem and my CMD121P needed a new preamp board. It also had fractured solder joints on the speaker output connectors. You could remove the combo head and take a careful look inside for mechanical faults such as poorly soldered joints on the speaker output connectors or loose ribbon cable connectors.

Bass-aholic likes this.
  4. Bass-aholic

Bass-aholic

Dec 28, 2010
    West Chester PA
    Thank you for the response man! I figured it was a head issue like I have had with receivers doing similar BS, cause sometimes it comes back, but still not full tilt like it was.

Is there a reason you bought a head @ $650 versus another amp CMD 102p @ $750 and used the new one to just power both via output?

CallMeAl likes this.
  5. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I already had the 12” extension, leaving me with a headless combo and a cabinet. I seriously considered a different head to power them. Something cheaper, most likely would have been a Peavey Minimax

But I really like the form factor of the combo, I use that alone most of the time. an open box on a Little Mark III from GC for $475 out the door with warranty sealed the deal. (At the time the LMIII was on sale for $499, but looks like they’re back up.)

If you dont yet have an extension, and want to stick with Markbass- your “new combo” idea sounds totally viable and cost effective.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Bass-aholic likes this.
  6. Bass-aholic

Bass-aholic

Dec 28, 2010
    West Chester PA
    Amazing insight man. I do not have an extension currently and was looking at getting one to gig with until this happened so I may just go that route, but the knowledge that the head caused this is invaluable. Can't thank you enough.

CallMeAl likes this.
  7. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    You bet. Two things come to mind:

1) you could try running a patch cable from the FX send to the FX return, and see if the volume issue goes away. IDK what this “means” in terms of diagnosis; but I read that here on TB and my local tech even suggested that. I think I could perceive a difference when I tried it; but in the end I felt like I couldn’t trust the head anymore and just wanted to replace it.

2) if you do take the head out, you’ll be left with a speaker with a male plug end. You could easily convert it to a permanent cabinet with the female end and plate (I think my tech quoted me 20 bucks to do this) or get a female-to-male speaker cable. I even know another guy in town that has the same CMD combo with the same dead head, and now runs it with a GK head. (Can’t remember his connection solution though)… my point is it’s definitely an option as a stand alone cab, with a few different routes to get there.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  8. Just Google "male to female speaker connector/cable". There are plenty of good quality adaptors and cables that mean you won't need to mess with the combo connector.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022