1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Minimark 6" love the size and weight not loving the VLE and VPF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by don21480, Dec 5, 2018.

1. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    I just cant seem to get the lows and cut the highs I'm after on my SCPB. I have a Markbass Nano 300 and it thankfully does not have the VLE and VPF controls and its pretty easy to dial in a great tone. Would a Bass EQ pedal help? Are there any options as powerful and light I should consider that have regular tone controls? I'm a pick player so I generally need a little more control on cutting the highs and boosting the lows than a finger player. Thanks!

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    You must be playing the wrong kind of bass through it as I get great tones from mine.

3. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    Gee thats helpful - thanks!

Redbrangus likes this.
  4. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    You're very welcome. :)

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I don't think the VLE and VPF controls are the problem. Turn them off and then you just have regular controls. Maybe the frequency centers for each control just don't suit you.

Reedt2000, Nashrakh and Mark_70 like this.
  6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    This particular amp has just the VLE and VPF controls, nothing else. I think you should be able to boost the lows (and highs, but we'll worry about that later) using the VPF. That cuts mids and boost lows and highs. Then you can tame the highs down using the VLE? In other words, healthy amounts of both?

It is a limiting eq though. A pedal will get you there, but that negates a lot of the portability. Not so much the weight or size but the setting up and tidiness of a small combo. The PJB stuff is a similar size (though heavier) and it has a great eq section. Or there's plenty of options that are slightly bigger, I loved the TC BG208 that I owned.

Ekulati and Russell L like this.
  7. ArteK

ArteK Supporting Member

Yes, the VPF is basically a "scooping" control (boost highs and lows, cut mids, more as you increase). If you turn it off, it makes your EQ "flat" (that is, no scooping). I get a cleaner sound with that off.

The VLE is Vintage Loudspeaker Emulation, which "warms" up the sound by cutting highs.

So, if you want more mids and highs, turn them both off. If you want a warmer sound, turn the VPF up and then adjust the VLE to cut the highs.

It's not as precise as separate bass, mid, and treble controls, and they do work with (and against) each other somewhat.

I tend to run them both at 12 o'clock (and use the tone control on the bass), but I like that warm scooped sound.

When I'm in a boomy sounding room (especially with my upright), I sometimes have to roll back the VPF.

Ekulati likes this.
  8. ArteK

ArteK Supporting Member

I thought this EQ might be limiting, but I've been playing through the minimark for years now and it's not as much of a problem as I had originally thought.

9. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Oh, sorry, I didn't know it didn't have the other knobs. I see how it could be tricky with just the VLE and VPF. But, I think it could be doable. Heck, I don't even use the VPF on my LMIII, but rarely. I do use the VLE, though, set anywhere from 11:00 to 2:00, depending. But actually, since my tone knobs are usually all at noon they may as well not be there. So yeah, doable.

10. Mannyinnewyork

Mannyinnewyork

Sep 28, 2016
    New York
    Can’t help you here. But your band is really good. Love the clean, straightforward sound coupled with good writing.

HD007 and don21480 like this.
  11. Quickfinga

Quickfinga Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Grab an EQD Tone Job, should be small enough to sit on top of the amp if you're looking to keep everything compact. You can find them used for as low as $100 and with it being a parametric EQ you should be able to get exactly what you want out of it.

don21480 likes this.
  12. fjbass78

fjbass78

Jun 21, 2007
    Indiana
    The OP said it does not have VLE and VPF controls.

13. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    If 99dB SPL is accurate and it's two 8 ohm speakers in parallel for 250W RMS total and the frequency response is reasonable (50Hz but -3db, -10db?) then I'd be sorely tempted if I had the money as it's enough for me for onstage or small gigs. Given there's just a level control in additional to the VLE and VPE it suggests it is intended to be run clean, so given that there is no effects loop between pre and power, why not try an EQ pedal (or preamp with EQ) ahead of it?

Edit: eventually I managed to read that one of the outputs is a speaker out. But I'll look at the manual.

Edit 2: 8 ohm internal, and actually 96dB sensitivity, not 99 with 150W. I used to manage pretty well with a Trace Elliot BLX with 130W into 2x10, total sensitivity about 100dB. But the Minimark is going to be much the same as the BLX at 90W into the single 1x10 internal speaker (97dB) which was marginal and led me to get the extension cab...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  14. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Wow, in theory the Micromark is as loud as my first ever amp, a Cub 60 with a 15 inch FANE in a closed box.

15. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    VLE cuts highs, VPF boosts lows and highs and cuts mids. You should be able to get pretty much anything out of those two controls unless you want a mid boost, it's just a case of finding the sweet spot. Start with rolling off the highs on your PB.

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    minimark is the one with the two drivers , right?

Jeff Scott likes this.
  17. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Markbass website says: level control, VLE and VPF controls only, 98db sensitivity, 150w at 8 ohms, 250w at 4 ohms, aux. In, headphone out, and I forget what else. It also says "discontinued." Dang.

I sti think the tone can be worked fine with the VLE and VPF.

I tried a Boss bass eq pedal with my LMIII. Did good, but I quit using it because I could get a good tone anyway with my knobs at noon, VLE turned up some, and VPF off.

18. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Right. Like this one (which sounds great with any bass I've run through it - Rickenbacker, Zon, Rick Turner, Martin Keith, G&L, Fender, Music Man, and some others).

Minimark-1200_4268.

With just these simple, but quite effective, controls.

Minimark-800_4274.

cnltb likes this.
  19. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Manual says 96dB for the Minmark (from 53Hz), 100dB from the Micromark from 60Hz. Doing the log 10s on the power and adding things up, then the Minimark would be 1dB louder, although with less LF extension, but wouldn't wouldn't really be that noticeable. If it's actually 98dB, then it's a 3dB difference at max SPLs. Assuming the Micromark's speaker is really 100dB sensitivity. I feel I will utilise some salt.

Russell L likes this.
  20. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I bet on the manual being correct rather than the website. I've seen other discrepencies on there once in awhile over the years.