1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Minimark

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
  2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    It looks interesting. It probably won't hit the US market for another 8 yrs though. I'm sure the Canadian dealers will have it in short time. It looks to be only one channel though.

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
  4. The Markbass looks like it may be rear ported. At first glance I thought the tweeter was the front port until I looked at the back picture. Not a fan of rear porting in instances where one is playing in front of a curtain, outdoors or similar circumstances but it still is an attractive package.

Peace,
    S

5. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    The thing is that it only goes down to 80 Hz.

6. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey fraublugher,

The AAD is a guitar amp version of the briefcase bass amp.
    If you like Phil's stuff, look out for the new amp he's making.
    I think it's called the Flight case, and it looks like a good update.

I borrowed a briefcase amp for a couple of rehearsals, and it was okay.
    Not quite enough "oomph" for me, but maybe the new one will be better.

LM

7. macmrkt

macmrkt Inactive

Dec 4, 2002

Yo Adrian! This is up my alley so I'll tell you what I know. It's due out in August in Europe, and October here...likely. It's based on the Micromark, but doubled. But based on my experience with the MarkAcoustic 101 and MicroMark, I'd say the Flightcase will be the better choice among these 3. That's because while Markbass heads exceed their expectations, their tiny combos do not. However, I'll certainly try the Minimark when it comes. IMHO.

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I tried this little bundle of joy at NAMM. I liked it alot.
    Instead of bass and treble controls, it has a VLE knob.
    I think its a good idea not to be able to boost too much
    low end into six inch speakers. Seems like it would work
    well for upright bass. You could use a little preamp for
    tone shaping. I was floored at how well it handled
    a Musicman B string. It all depends on the end cost as to
    if it makes sense or not.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Please remember that I'm from Kentucky, but what are "VLE and VPF filters"?

Vile Lactose Emmision?
    Varicose Leg Extension?
    Vanilla Perfumed Flower?

Inquiring rednecks want to know.

10. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator)
    frequency range 250 Hz–20 kHz (cut)

VPF (Variable Pre-shape Filter)
    center frequency 380 Hz (cut)

http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=1&vedi=82

Edit: sorry chris, for writing such a prosaic answer to your poetic question, but in such case i reach my limits in expressing myself eloquently in english language. (hope this made sense...) (please remember i´m NOT from kentucky :) )

11. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Whatever the letters mean, what is does is take away highs
    and upper mids, instead of boosting lows. A little limiting
    but I think it will work well with this amp.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ah git it now. Y'all done good. :)

13. I tried one of these, I want one bad. They had also had the Mini CMD 121P, and to me the Minimark sounded as loud or louder, DEFINITELY clearer and punchier. I think this is because the 500 watt (at 4 ohm) combo is only running 300 watts w/ the internal 8 ohm speaker alone. I think the Minimark is 250 watts to it's internal speakers. That's only 50 watts less.

Johnny

14. Drucocu

Drucocu

Jan 24, 2007
    hey guys!

I own the micromark and played the minimark a lot in the near guitarshop, these two amps are not comparable! the minimarks is a real mature amp, this one will kick your a$$es and will be enough for lots of Jazzers out there!
    dont get me wrong, I love my MicroMark and I also use it live with my FolkBand (www.redshamrock.ch), but I still need to have the bass through the stage monitors as well.

15. RMacBass

RMacBass Bass Commander

Jun 2, 2003
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    I've owned a Micromark (50w, 1x6" speaker) for one month, and have gigged and rehearsed with it many times. It's a great value if you like a combo that is small enough to put in a medium-sized backpack and have enough room left over for a change of clothes. It's small size and low weight has changed my life. No joke. I would have saved SO much taxi fare over the years had this combo been available while I was living in Montreal for school.

My only complaint is that if I _didn't_ have my HPF-Pre (a high-pass filter/preamp/impedance buffer), the Micromark would be almost useless with my Realist-equipped double bass. The HPF works wonders, and salvages the Micromark's useless one-knob EQ. Without a high-pass filter, the Micromark is wicked for electric bass at medium volume, and I've even plugged my Stratocaster and Pod into it and it sounds great.

A plea to those Markbass designers lurking in the shadows:
    Please Markbass, you've made this wonderful, affordable product, whose form factor is ideal for upright bassists. Why not take fdeck's fabulous HPF-Pre design and incorporate a variable HPF into the Micromark?

A link to the design:
    http://personalpages.tds.net/~fdeck/bass/hpfpre.htm

Attached Files:

16. Has anyone compared the minimark to the Phil Jones Briefcase, or Flightcase??

all are about the same size/weight/power

17. Has no one tried both briefcase/flightcase, and the minimark??

18. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    The Minimark runs at 150 watts with the internal speakers. 250 with an add on speaker. The 2 smaller speakers versus one large speaker is what gives the impression of more volume.

19. spectorsam

spectorsam

Feb 10, 2008
    Well...I tried this amp after being a bit of an ampeg fan, and personally, I was floored. The greatest tone out of a combo that I have ever heard (and yes that includes Phil Jones, which are awesome as well). But I think the Minimark has sufficient power and certainly has great clarity and naturalness. Definitely not for the person who wants to control every frequency with a separate knob, but I have found that you can dial in a killer tone quickly with the filters. I guess it's a preference thing, so I love it, but my advice would be to try it yourself.

20. This Combo is great, I had one and stupidly sold it for tuition. I just got a line on a good cheap one and I'm getting it next week. I've really missed it a lot.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021