1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass MoMark

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rob Mancini, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Markbass premiered their new MoMark amp modules at Muskimesse this week, which means we in America should be seeing them in stores by 2011 ;)

I'm kind of intrigued by the concept, but I'm not sure how practical it is. You get your choice of power amps and preamps, and your choice of EQ sections, and they all bolt together in modules so you can mix and match as you see fit. The resulting amp appears to be a 2-rack space 19" amp made of whatever modules you choose.

While I'm intrigued, I'm also wondering if it's not overkill with the choices. And I also wonder how much putting together an amp like this will cost compared to buying an LM2 or an SA450. I suppose that if you like different preamps for different applications it might be useful to just pop one out and pop another in. Me, I'd be tempted to just buy the modules I wanted and leave it at that, so I think I'd probably be better off with a standalone head.

What say youse?

2. pics but that sounds kick @$$

3. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Oh, sorry, yeah, pics:

momark_tester.

4. I thought this was already in practice with a guitar amp manufacturer (can't remember which)

Although, you do wonder if there is a preamp that will sound better than what Mark Bass already has to offer.

5. Color me curious!

It's an interesting concept. I could see it being an advantage to be albe to customize your own amp. I'd probably also be one to buy certain modules and leave it at that, but if you needed to expand, that would sure make it easy.

I'll be watching for more info.

5sg

6. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    Randall, though it's preamp/EQ modules only.

This might be good for the dual amp/Billy Sheehan crowd who run one clean and one distorted channel (provided each preamp section has its own power amp section).

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Also for tweakers like me who spend more time dialing in their component-system rig than actually playing. ;)

8. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    [​IMG]

I can't wait for this product!!!!
    I think I will take 2 different preamp section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    I was just waiting to see someone implement the modular concept in a bass amp.

As rack preamp, there are already some options, albeit pricey ones, available, where you can mix'n match modules

10. No interest on my part, since the inherent voicing of the MB stuff (the LMII, F1 and SD800 that I am familiar with) is perfect for the tone I try to achieve.

However, the new product pipeline for this company is very, very impressive.

I wish they would consider an update of the LMII with a 'better' and more fully featured DI and a mute switch... that would, IMO, make that amp literally perfect.

I know they are thinking about a similar upgrade/addition to the F1, with parametric mids, mute and a more fully featured DI. That should be very cool also.:hyper:

11. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    +1

12. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Yaah, the F500. My wish list for the LMII is a blendable effects loop. On the other hand, I have one in my EBS Microbass II that I never use anyway, so it's not a deal breaker for me. A mute switch would be nice for the tuner out, though I never use it either, but I know a ton of folks do.

BTW, Peter Murray said in another thread that we should be able to get the entire product line in America in about 2 months. The Classic 300 is the one I can't wait to try out! I'm thinking of planning a half hour day trip to go check one out when I go to Germany next week. Don't know if it'll make me want to sell my Blue Line SVT, but it definitely makes me feel like I'll be less worn out after setup and teardown!

13. Anyone know if and or WHEN we may see the MoMark??

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Now that's what I'm talking about!!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

How much for the whole stack? :D

15. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    :hyper:

I think this is a cool concept, change modules to suit your gig if the day.

16. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    SETTLE DOWN!

17. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I just like the way it looks

18. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I hope we will have more informations soon.

Availability? specs of each section...

I need one!:bassist:

19. That stack looks like one of those old ham radios from the early 1940's! I dig it.

20. MellowTone

MellowTone

May 26, 2008
    Australia
    Looks like a very interesteing concept, can't wait to try one out. The Bass Centre seems to have a thing for MarkBass (who wouldn't?) so I hope they get them in.

Thought this video might be of interest, has MarkBass employee Peter showing off the MoMark.

Bass Professor TV Meets MarkBass MoMark