1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass NY 604 vs. NY 121 vs. something else

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Apr 22, 2009.

1. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi All,

Anybody compared the new Markbass NY 604 with the NY 121 or other 12" markbass cabs?

I'm looking for small 12" or 15" single speaker cabs with 400W RMS minimum power handling that are light and easy to move around. The purpose is apartment rehearsal and small rehearsal (jazz and some light rock). I don't need to restrict myself to Markbass heads, these are just easy to find over here, any other suggestion is welcome

Next week I'll test the two NY Markbass cabs first hand hopefully, other opinions, especially from TBers are highly appreciated!

Thanks all. Paolo

2. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    PS: the 400 W minimum is to make sure I don't blow the speaker... I don't think I'll need to push so much in the described conditions of use, but I like to be safe in any meaning... :)

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    MARKBASS 4x6 cab aka. NY 604

4. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Oh! So that's the cab I was playing thru at first when I was in GC testing out LMII and F1 heads. I moved to other cabs petty quickly but it was sounding pretty darn nice and big for such a small cab. I new it was a MB cab, despite the black drivers and barely any yellow, just didn't know what model. It was cool. Can't offer any technical advice, sorry.

5. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
    So have you tested them? I'm also into NY 121s and waiting them to arrive to the shop, so I'm curious. And the web site of Markbass is so poor...

6. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi, yes, tested it... and bought it. It's the best cab I could imagine for small gigs and I set it up with the Mesa PH 1x12 for medium gigs. It has a great response thropugh the spectrum with my 4 stringers, with the low B it could fart a bit if you dig hard AND boost significantly the low (not a playing condition for me anyhow).

It's also a great monitor for bigger gigs if you of course have PA support. I'm so happy I'm going use it as main go to rig for the next gigs

here a pic of the minirig... (powered by Little Mark Tube 800... wow!)

[​IMG]

7. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    the 604 is the first cab that I actually had to turn the bass DOWN.

8. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL
    would love to see a thread on the mb tube 800

9. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
    Looks perfect!
    So you already had a 12" cab. I wonder if you didn't have any cabs, would you still buy the 604 or the 121 as a first and only cab of yours? Being in the need of something portable and as powerful as possible... (Yes, I don't have any cabs :rollno:)

10. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Wow, I'm surprised the 4x6 has such a small footprint. You add a Mesa 1x12 for bigger gigs - what would you say it adds to the sound? Does the Mesa just give you some more speaker area, or are you getting a different sound out of the combined stack?

11. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
  12. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Well, I actually bought them almost together. I tested also a 2x 604 and I liked the sound with the PH112 (wonderful cab) better. If I had to choose only one cab, I'd probably go for the 604 , but this is just me, test before you buy, they're quite expensive

13. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    The vombined stack has more speaker area of course and drives the head to the 800w (4ohm). The mesa adds more presence in in the low end with respect to the 604 cab (and a tad more with respect to the 2x 604 setup I also tested)

14. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
    So why you didn't go for a NY 121 instead of the Mesa? NY 121 is the cab I'm chasing about, (not being tried it yet) but you didn't prefer it, so I wonder.
    Cheers.

15. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Indeed I tested also the 121p with the NY604. It was impressive as well, but coupling with the Mesa was love. The 121 has , to my ears, is less tight in the lows than the Mesa, of course YMMV