1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass NY122 or 151p?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Perrygoround, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Perrygoround

Perrygoround

Jun 27, 2016
    Hi, I am looking to upgrade my gigging gear. I will probably buy a Markbass LM III head on the second hand market.
    The guy selling it is also selling a New York 122 cab at 4ohms. It is a bit out of my budget but I could do the effort if worth it.
    Another guy is selling a 151p Traveller, 8 ohms, that fits my budget.
    122 is 4 ohms, 3 kg heavier, 150 € more expensive but seems a cab that will be able to handle everything.
    151p is a bit lighter and cheaper but I am not sure if it will fullfill all my needs,.
    I play in 2 rock bands, playing both covers and originals, mainly finguerstyle. Bith bands with 2 guitars and loud drummers.
    Will the 151p be enough to be heard playing bars or should I go for the 122?

2. I have both the 151 cabinet (Black) and the NY 122 (Ninja 8 Ohm though). By itself, the 122 is better. But, the 151 will give you an opportunity to add another one later. The 151 can keep up with everything that your band has to throw at you - as long as you have PA help during a live show at a medium-to-large venue. For a smaller venue - as long as your guitarists don't bring their 4x12 cabinets - you should be fine :) (that would be extreme overkill for a bar - but we like to show our gear, so . . .) Also, it will not sound as good as having another one to pair with it - but you only need it to hear it for your own benefit (to the audience, you will sound like what the soundman decides anyway). As for practice, as long as you have it titled up (or elevated) so you can hear it, it should be fine as well. Hope this helps.

Perrygoround likes this.
  3. Perrygoround

Perrygoround

Jun 27, 2016
    That's what I needed to hear. I was guessing the 122 sounds better on its own, but taking into account the other parameters (asking price and getting extra cabs in the future) I was leaning more towards the 151. If the 151 will keep up in most playing situations, and I will take your word, it will be it.
    In case I need more, I will get another one in the future.
    Thanks!

Bulldawg82 likes this.