1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass or Epifani?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rickenbrad, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Rickenbrad

Rickenbrad

Aug 13, 2007
    i'm trying to decide what amp to get, i play alot of Jazz Fusion, i heard that Epifani and Markbass are good for Fusion, any suggestions? what should i get?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Are you talking about amps and cabs, or just amps?

3. Rickenbrad

Rickenbrad

Aug 13, 2007
    my bad, just cabs

4. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Markbass amp + Epifani cabs = awesome -- IM(limited)E

The Markbass cabs do not seem to be as highly esteemed as the Epifani stuff.

5. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Epifani cabs get my recommendation for ANY kind of music. What kind of cab/speaker type you get is what you need to try out and see what works for you but i highly recommend the 10's. :D

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I am simply in love with my Epifani Cabs. My UL502 through either my UL410 series I or one of my UL112 series I cabs is simply amazing!

7. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Epi has my vote, if anyone would think different of me. :D

I've heard jazz players of all variations of jazz use both the Epi 10's and 12's. It would be to your preferrence. If at all possible I'd recommend trying both out. Personally I prefer my PS112's for my jazz gigs. I used to use 2-UL112's but the newer PS 112's gave me a little bit lower but tight low end.

8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Am currently running Epi112/115 and Markbass LMK11 and am happy as a pig in sh*t :)

9. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Wellllll...first off, I'm really happy that you're that happy. :rollno: :D

Yeah, I sometimes pull out my NYC115 and use it with a 112. It's a fat and deep tone. So I can see why you're that happy. :bag: :p

10. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    The answer is yes! :D

I like my PS112 with the LMII, and I'm digging my UL-310 I just got.

11. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    WHAT, and you didn't tell me first about your UL310. :bawl:

Sent you an e-mail.

12. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Hey Gary,

I think I snuck it in an email I sent you last Thursday. It came in Friday, but I was a little busy and didn't get to really put it through the paces. ;)

got it and responded.

13. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    +1
    I had a MB151P for a couple of weeks and thought it was rubbish and swapped it for a UL115 and that sounds just perfect for me. There is a huge difference it tone and volume. I now use a UL212 and apart from the very poor build quality its a lovely sounding cab.

14. I use Markbass LMII and Epi Cabs and love it.

I'd go with the Epi cabs in my opinion.

15. manjar

manjar

Dec 8, 2005
    I'm glad this topic came up. I just bought an Epifani UL-112 series 2 on Thursday, it's already got several hours of gig time on it, and I'm totally in love with the thing. I've been using the Sadowsky/Bergantino 4x10 cabinet (a great cab for many uses, but I needed somthing more portable), and I also did an A/B with AccuGroove at the time of purchase.

The UL-112 stands out as an excellent piece of gear. I find the coloration of this cabinet, while subtle (i.e. in a non-A/B setting you would not say "wow, that cabinet has a strong coloration", but up against others you can of course hear a difference), lends itself to electric bass that is played in a real-world setting. I'm not sure what, technically, the difference is, but it really gravitates toward sitting nicely in a live mix. I'm truly blown away by the sound of this cabinet. I'm using it with a Thunderfunk head, playing a Sadowsky Metro 5 string. A world of fatness. *And*, I can easily carry my whole rig in one trip! Seriously, it messes with my head to think that something so light can sound so fat.

Anyway, the UL-112 blew away my expectations, and I think it is a good value.

OK, back to lurk...

16. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I would say MarkBass head with Epifani cabs.

17. hoosierdad

hoosierdad

Sep 1, 2003
    Indiana
    epifany!

18. stranger0

stranger0

May 10, 2007
    I had the same decision to make, I wanted light but honestly, the markbass cabs didn't sound great until I was running the 2x10's AND the 1x15 with the LMII...so I went with the Epifani 1x12 w/horn and yea, I'll buy another 1x12 for it.

It sounds great and I can't find anything really complain about to be honest. (I'll play rock, metal, blues etc...)

The nice thing is, it reminds me of my trace elliot and the nice little 'growl' it gives me.