Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Markbass or Hartke???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by E.J. T.N.T., Jan 16, 2006.

1. Recently I've come to have some serious amount of money so I've been thinking about building a nice rig.Unfortunately after a lot of research I've ended up falling in love with two amps.The first one is the Markbass Little Mark II,which is a really compact amp yet pumping out 500 watts at 4ohms(!) with a lot of clarity and punch that i wouldn't expect from such a small amp.The other one is the Hartke HA 5500, a really versatile amp on the same wattage and price range,sporting a couple of more options but also about the double size.I checked out both amps with the top-of-the-line 4x10 cab each company builds and I was astonished by both of them.I'm completely bummed and I would love some advice about making a good investment.Questions and other amp recommendations are welcome.

2. *Has anneurism imagining what he would do in a such a position*

3. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Bugatti or Lada?

:eek: Markbass is definitly better than hartke.

The first thing I thought when I played the little mark last year was : hartke is dead!(and ampeg too; i ve played a svt3pro during 4 years)

I am really surprised to read a thread like this because markbass quality cannot be compared with hartke stuff.

4. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I haven't played a Hartke. I recently tried out a Little Mark II. It did nothing to me because I am after a more colorful, a bit dirtier sound. If you like clarity and transparency, I can't see how you can go wrong with one. The price is great and the portability is unbelievable. So, if you liked both amps, go for the more portable.
    I just noticed that you said that the hartke is more versatile if i got that correctly. Then it's portability vs. versatility. If you see that you might feel limited by the MarkBass anywhere soon, then go for the hartke - sound is more important than a few extra pounds. If you think you'll be happy with the sound of the LM, imo it's an easy choice.

5. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    and yes, I've also read some bad things about hartke quality now and then and only good things about markbass

6. You see that's the thing.You can't really tell many stuff about quality when you try an amp in the music shop for like 5 minutes,where even a squire doesn't seem to have many differences with a custom shop limited run fender.Damned interior designers!!!YOU SHALL BURN IN HELL!!!:p

7. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    That's why I bought it to try more longer, and now, I know!:bassist:

8. The money came from selling my share of land i had inherited from grandpops.Now how cool is a guy that makes quick assumptions trying to play it smart?:spit:Thank god i respect the moderators cause by now i would have given you a really nasty piece of my mind(skatoflwre)

9. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Haha, beware, there are other greeks here too. I think you got it wrong, he wasn't playing it smart to you. Vlaka :p

10. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Dude, you need to relax read that post again. All the guy was saying is that he would be overly excited if he had a lot of money to spend on gear all of a sudden.

11. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    he was speaking on my behalf too...

12. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    well, not only did you come into money fast, you jumped to an incorrect conclusion pretty fast too. that dude was making a comment about himself, not you.

congrats on the money. imo, pass along the good deed and invest it for YOUR kidsgrandkids future. Why spend it on yourself? t's not like you earned it.

13. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    This guy came here asking for our opinion on a couple of amps. Its his money and he can do what he pleases with it. He wants a new rig, not a financial advisor... :meh:

anyway, i'd say markbass. Although i've never tried their stuff (rare in the states), i've heard great things about them and mediocre things about the hartkes.

14. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    "This guy came here asking for our opinion on a couple of amps."

is that all? really? didnt apear so. reads to me like he was trying to flex through the computer. Maybe i read it wrong though.

As to teh 2 amps, somethign to consider is customer service.

15. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I talked to the Markbass people at NAMM and they said their new US distributer is Guitar Center and the Little Mark will street for about $500.

Make sure to buy one still sealed in the box ;) That's what I plan to do.

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

Do a search for a thread I wrote on Markbass cusstomer service. My Little Mark had an issue. Dave in Toronto, Peter in Toronto, Marco Virgilis (Mark of Markbass) and their European distributor who I can't rrecall his name, were all over me scrambling to fix the problem. From first email to solution to fix took place within a working day, despite time zone differences. All emails had Marco cc'd so he could follow what was happening. Once all was fixed, at no expense to me, Marco sent me a personal email asking if I was satisfied with how all was handled.

These guys really impressed me.

17. any idea on when MB will be in stock?

18. +1 on the sealed box

19. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    They said in March. I've got a really good feeling about these amps, I hope I'm right.

20. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Its a no brainer, Ive owned a Hartke and tried Markbass. Get the Markbass, the build quality is substantially beter and the sound is more flexible warmer and punchy.