1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boogie8008, Sep 28, 2009.

1. boogie8008

boogie8008

Nov 18, 2008
    Denver CO
    I own a Markbass 102P combo, it is actually the second one that I have owned. After about two months with the first combo it began to make a digital sounding hum. It wasn't bad power, I plugged the amp into several outlets in different locations and this did not fix the problem. The buzz seems to be only coming out of the tweeter because when I unplug the built in cab and hook up my 15" you can not hear the buzz.

I took it back to GC where I bought it and they gladly swapped it out for another, which was actully the updated version with the LMKIII in it. After having this one for about two months the same exact problem has started in. Has anyone else had a problem like this with Markbass gear? I really like the tone and light weight but the fact that the same problem keeps having has sort of soured my opinion. GC says they will swap it out but I don't really want another problem amp that I will need to swap out two months later.

I don't know if it is a problem with the cab or the amp. You don't hear it through the 15" but thats probably because it is a frequency that is too high for the 15" to produce, hence why I only hear it out of the tweeter. Any advice, I really want to keep liking Markbass but I tell you, they are not making it easy for me.

2. Peter Murray

Peter Murray Commercial User

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Artist Relations and Social Media Manager, Pigtronix and Supro
    Hi there. Sorry to hear of your troubles.
    Good that you troubleshot the internal cab and power source... but have you checked the amp with different basses and different cables? Any time I've heard of any issue like this with our amps/combos, it's ended up being an external problem. It's a clear sounding amp, which means that if you have a problem with your cable, grounding problem in your bass, etc, the amp WILL amplify it.
    I can't say for sure that there isn't a problem with the amp, but this is the second time you've experienced this, and I've never heard of this problem... So that coincidence seems highly unlikely to me!
    Please try to troubleshoot your bass and cable, and let us know if you find anything out!
    Best,
    Peter

3. TeamTrejo

TeamTrejo

Oct 12, 2008
    Franklin WI
    See if you can swap it for a Jeff Berlin. No tweeter, no problem.

4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I had the 102p and never had any trouble with it. Agree with Peter, this sounds like something external. Try to change everything external - power cord, electrical circuit, bass, cables, effects.

5. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I owned two Markbass combos and although the sound was very good, I thought the tweeters were pretty hissy. It doesn't sound like that is necessarily your problem as it wasn't there right away and you describe it as a hum not a hiss, but my experience with piezo tweeters has me avoiding them now.

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    It does sound like an external problem but why would GC have swapped out a new one without first testing it with a bass and cord of their own (just to see what the problem was)?

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    It's possible they were actually providing true customer service! :eek: Where you take the customer's word and provide a replacement, since the customer was not happy with the product.

8. I had that problem on my 151p cab, it was called "Someone turned my tweeter up full"...problem solved.

9. Goodlawdy

Goodlawdy

Mar 27, 2008
    +1

10. boogie8008

boogie8008

Nov 18, 2008
    Denver CO
    Peter,

Even when there is no cable plugged in the input the buzz is there, when a bass is plugged in it gets even louder. I did swap between two different mogami cables with no difference. I am taking it over to my buddies recording studio tonight which has very clean power, we have never had any trouble with amp hum there. So we will see what happens.

And I have a question, if this is a problem with the amp do you think it is a power amp problem or a problem with the cab? Any help would be appreciated, I love the tone of the MB amp an have been singing its praises all over town, I wouldn't want to have to eat my words.

11. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    I have an intermittent buzz with my Markbass 12 combo. I thought it was my bass, but it seems to do it with all my basses. After reading this thread, I think I'll return it and see if a different combo won't solve the problem.

I absolutely love the combo and I'd be bummed it I couldn't get it fixed.

12. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    That is strange, I had a similiar hum with my MicroMark combo. I could hear it even if the bass wasn't plugged in, and even louder when the bass was plugged in.
    Stranger than that, it went away after a month and never came back.

-ScottM

13. do the combo's have a variable tweeter dial like that stand alone cab's do??? could it be some bad electronics which switch the tweeter to full???
    It just seems that only Combo people are having the problem...but I do know the sound your talking about by turning my Tweeter up full.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What are your amp settings? If you have any tone knobs overly boosted, you will get noise from that, too. Too much bass will result in a bass hum, too much treble results in a hiss. Happens with any amp made, not just Markbass. I have to agree that Markbass combos are pretty bulletproof and it would be rare that two combos would have the exact same problem, so this also makes me think you're doing something that exaggerates it. And the usual suspect is the tone controls.

15. Peter Murray

Peter Murray Commercial User

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Artist Relations and Social Media Manager, Pigtronix and Supro
    Don't worry... if the problem is in the combo itself, it's very rare so you can exchange it and be rid of the problem. But it still seems odd to me, and I just want to encourage you to run through all of the possible troubleshooting before going through another exchange and not getting rid of the problem!
    As far as what the problem could be (IFit's in the combo), I would suspect it would be something in the amp creating the hum and sending that to the speakers and tweeter. Speakers themselves don't create hum.
    Please troubleshoot everything and keep me posted.
    Best,
    Peter

16. boogie8008

boogie8008

Nov 18, 2008
    Denver CO
    All settings are as follows:
    GAIN: 12 o'clock BASS: 12 MID LOW: 12 MID HIGH: 12 HIGH: 12 VLE: 8 VPF: 2 MASTER: 4.

Some things I noticed in further examination. When the Gain is cranked all the way the buzz stops, the same is true when the master is turned all the way up. There is a present treble hiss which goes away when you cut the highs but leaves the buzz behind.

Tracking at the studio was scraped for tonight but should resume tomorrow night and I will get to test it there. If the buzz stops then I guess it is just a power issue at my apartment, however I do run through a power conditioner. Thats the last little bit of trouble shooting there is left to do unless any one has any other suggestions.

17. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    I'm curious to know where this ended up. I have a Markbass LMII with a possible noise issue and I am wondering if hte amp or external factors caused this problem.

18. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    OK this just started happening to my amp this week. i have the same combo & i started hearing some really bad digital noise, my guitar player said it sounds like an arachnid. the worst part is it is getting louder & really annoying. but it is defintily not external. i have tried every setting on the amp & i have used different basses & chords. when i mess with the filters the noise goes away but only for a moment.

boogie, have you had any luck with your problem?

19. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    Ok, so after intensive investigation i have determined the digital noise is NOT an amp problem. after i got back to the cabin where my amp was freaking out with digital spider noises we did a bunch of tests with all sorts of basses & chords & settings & nothing stopped the noise. so we decided to run direct itnto the PA & BAM the noise was there too! in fact it was even worse. the only thing that helped was cutting my treble completely off on the bass & only running my ampeg cab & unplugging the cab from the head. & that only softened the noise it did not stop it. So last night after i got back into town i went to my studio & plugged in to my very clean sounding digital noise free amp! i tried every setting i could think of & i am noise free!!!!!!!!!!! which leads me to believe this was a dirty electrical grounding issue or something.

i am so relieved.

20. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I've had the same issue for months and it's driving me nuts. I also own the 210 CMD and the problem goes away when I disconnect the 2x10 and just use my tweeter-less 1x15. This appears even when the Master and Gain are both off.

People suggested stuffing some cotton into the tweeter or connecting a resistor before the tweeter but both options will surely void my warranty. Isn't there a way to just shut the tweeter off?