1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass purchase: get the GC Performance Guarantee or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deckard, Apr 1, 2009.

1. deckard

deckard

Apr 4, 2003
    Seattle
    Greetings -

First up, I am a big Markbass fan.

However, I'm really on the fence about paying the extra $$$ for the GC extended warranty on my new Markbass purchase and am looking for honest opinions/feedback/etc.:

granted that new Markbass products come with the excellent 2-year replacement warranty which apparently starts after the Guitar Center 30-day return thing;

also granted that Markbass products seemingly have had a very low "failure" rate so far.

Taking these 2 factors into consideration, what do people really think about purchasing the extra "GC Performance Guarantee" ad-on that adds an additional year or 2 (buyer's choice) of warranty coverage?

Good idea? If you think so, why?

Waste of money? If you think so, why?

Sorry, but I really need help on this...

Thanks!!

2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Don't bother with the warranty. They're just trying to suck up more money from you. If your amp fails in the Markbass 2-year window, they'll just give you a new amp.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

In the vast majority of cases, if something is going to fail, it fails very early on (typically, right out of the box).

I wouldn't bother myself. If it goes 2 years, it will go 5 more, and then you will be ready for something else anyway!

4. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    I purchased the warranty on the GK I bought from them and do not regret it. Day 58 the thing starts doing some strange grounding/popping noises that was isolated to be the amp....because of the extended warranty they push the return policy to 60 days. They gave me a new one and called me 2 days later to check on me to see if everything was alright. I personally think it was worth the 40 bucks but I have crap luck.

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I bought a 2 year Guitar Center warranty plan thing with my MB R500...it was used, and with my luck, I'll need it eventually.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Markbass's free warranty includes that.... no repairs if anything goes wrong... you get a new one. I would also think that the standard 30 day return is plenty time to figure out if the amp or cab will work for you or not.

However, I guess depending on the cost, there would be the advantage of getting a little more attention and service from the typical GC employee is something goes wrong. However, with the reliability track record of MB, I wouldn't worry about it myself.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I never add to the purchase price. Extended warranties are almost always a waste of money.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Never get an extended warranty. They are a ripoff. But that's where stores make the real money on a purchase, so they push them like you really need them.

Think of them as gambling. They want you to bet that it will break down because they know the likelihood of you needing the extended warranty is small. I bet it won't break down, so I don't get the extended warranties. Once in a great while I get caught, but it still costs less than the money I would have spent on the warranties over the years.

Insurance is legalized gambling, nothing more.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1,000. In this case you're betting the gear will fail, and the house is betting it won't.
    Vegas didn't get to be what it is today because the house loses.:cool:

10. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    I did,
    I treat my new gear like I do a new laptop if I screw it up (happens often) I want a new one.

11. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

Oct 24, 2007
    Mobile, AL
    It's more than that. They want you to bet that it will break down after the "normal" warranty is expired but before the extended warranty does.

Does your choice become easier if asked this way - "Excuse me sir, but do you believe this product will last longer than two but fewer than four years? If so, this warranty is just what you need!"

12. Pure profit and greed on the part of GC. If they're going to fail, most electronic devices will fail within the first year.

Run away!!!!!!

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    My story is non-bass related. I bought a Digi camera at Best Buy for my girlfriend for xmas - got the extended warranty for $20...

Dropped the camera a month ago, lens got stuck inside the camera - it was useless - got it fixed/replaced for free. Had I not gotten the warrenty, I would've been out $200...

Moral of the story - it doesn't hurt to have the warranty, sometimes you can screw yourself for being cheap

14. +1,000

Extra warranty/insurance is the biggest scam around. Consumer electronics takes the cake. $300 camera plus $100 for 3 year extended warranty. All of a sudden your decent camera deal isn't even a deal. Usually stuff pukes earlier rather than later. I usually tell sales people that if they try to sell me the extended warranty they will lose the sale so don't even mention it. The only time I may consider it is if there is a yearly service of the item included in the warranty price. But they seem to be few and far between.

15. deckard

deckard

Apr 4, 2003
    Seattle
    Thanks a lot, guys - I really, really appreciate the input... which confirms my gut feeling: no thanks!!!

:)

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm going to bet I won't drop the camera...haven't dropped one yet. Besides, there are very few companies that will warranty against user abuse.

17. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    don't do it, im a former gc employee, dont do it