Markbass question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chunger, Jan 26, 2006.

1. chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    Chunger basses by Studio 939

I was wondering if a markbass LMII will be capable of driving an ACME B2 4 ohm cabinet adequately.

I'm thinking about downsizing. I don't buy bass gear very often. . . only when it breaks, so I've been out of the loop for the last 8 years, and everything gets tiny all of a sudden.

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I had a freind of mine check out the Markbass gear at the NAMM show. He had never heard of them til I told him to check then out at show. He called me Wednesday and he couldn't say enough good stuff about the Markbass amps, he was absolutely floored by them. I don't know of anyone off hand that has used one with the Acme cabs, but I would think they would drive it quite nicely. The LMKII has a very powerful 500 watts.
  3. It sounds like a beefed up Peavey to me. In a good way. I really liked the amp/cabinet I played briefly. The only thing it lacked a bit was growl maybe? But I had it with a flat EQ and a not so growly bass ;)

Nonetheless: great stuff.
  4. kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    The LM2 is an extremely loud 500 watts.

There is some mid growl in the LM2's tone but I hear the TA503 is more of a rock amp.

Not sure about the Peavey comment though :scowl:
    I would have said Eden would have been a closer comparison, but with enhanced and tighter lows.

5. Disclaimer: I haven't played any of the MarkBass stuff....but would like to

Would the TA503 be more versitile than just a "rock" amp, due to the 4 band para EQ? Have you played one? Is the sound variable enough to do Jazz and fingerstyle funk too?

6. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    There's no reason why it couldn't power a 4ohm cab. Depends on what your needs are, volume wise, for playing. These amps are loud. Unless the Acme is a power hungry amp needing serious power, it should match just fine.

I get growl but have never relied on a head to give that to me. I get it from round wounds, the pickups, the right eq and playing by the bridge. I can get a great growly tone with my Blade into a Little Mark driving an SWR cab.
  7. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Here's an unscientific answer...I run the LMII with their 1x15 Traveler single cabinet. One band I use it in plays in club that's 50' x 75' with 2 fairly loud blues guitarists, me, sax and drums. Everyone is miked through the PA...but me! I don't like the PA sound so I run just my rig. I never have put the LMII gain past 50% and the master past 33% (my bass is active and I run it wide open, but without and boosting active bass or treble). The LMII in this situation is playing into 8 ohms.
  8. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    It really depends on what type of music you play and at what volumes.
    The Acme is notoriously inefficient. Don't get me wrong, it sounds fantastic but it definitely needs good clean power to get good results.
    If you're going to be playing in smaller venues, have good PA support or you're playing in something other than a heavy guitar/drums rock band, then it would be an great set up.
    If volume is going to be an issue, I'd look for a more efficient cabinet or a pair of good efficiency smaller cabs.
  9. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    It seems more amp makers are releasing affordable high-end stuff like Markbass. This is a good trend!