1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass R500 vs. Ashdown ABM500 EVOII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by badsneakers, Sep 11, 2008.

1. badsneakers

badsneakers Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    Has anyone owned or tried both amps back to back? I use to own the Ashdown and it is one of my favorite sounding amps. I need to a new amp, I currently own nothing and gig regularly so it's a pain...

The R500 looks pretty interesting and I'm wondering if it has really good deep low end like the ashdown. I like the price of the R500 and MB has a good rep as far quality goes from what i can tell.

Or any other amp suggestions would be great, I know I could just buy another Ashdown but I want to try something new...

My cab is a Berg NV610

Thanks!

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I own the R500 and have owned the Ashdown RPM preamp which is the front end of the ABM500 head. I much prefer the R500 to the Ashdown, but if you want a really deep tone, the R500 is not it. It's voiced more towards the midrange and is all about punch and cutting through. I see that you have a Berg NV610 - I do as well, and it's an awesome combination.

I never trusted Ashdown reliability - even the new preamp I had had some defects right out of the sealed box. I also thought the OD was crappy sounding - it kills on the R500. The Markbass on the other hand seems very well engineered and built.

Order one from MF and try it with your cab in your envronment and see how you like it.

JR

3. badsneakers

badsneakers Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    hmm.. thanks for the input.

i never used used the the tube drive as an overdrive on the abm, i just dialed it in a little and used a stompbox to get real nasty when I needed to. I imagine i would do the same with R500. I also never used the sub-octive on the abm, i'm not looking for that kind of lowend!

But I do need to rumble a little. I had a YBA200 and never got the lowend I needed out that for this band...

I think a GC in my area has Markbass, I'll check this weekend. Whatever I get I do need to bring right to band practice and see how it sits there..

-aarne