1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass rig loud enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Perry bp, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Perry bp

Perry bp

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi guys
    ive just got a Mark bass Ta 103 head with a traveller 102p :hyper: cab and i was just wondering will this be loud enough to play with in rehearsals and small gigs? I play in a 5 piece bluesy rock band with two guitarist using a blues junior and vox ac15 and a reasonably loud drummer and singer. the cab is rated at 8 ohms.

2. Depends on your interpretation of "a loud drummer." For my loud drummer and loud guitarist, it would not be enough. The only way for you to really know is to try it out.

3. Perry bp

Perry bp

Apr 5, 2011
    ah ok thanks, before i this had an Ampeg BA115HP which is 220watt with a 15inch speaker and that was more than enough so would the markbass amp have more volume or less, any ideas?

4. the markbass should be at least as loud if not louder than your previous amp

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    It should be loud enough. If not, add another identical 2x10 cab.

6. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Bluesy rock with two guitarists and a reasonably loud drummer tells me that a single 210 isn't going to be enough.

Unless everyone shows a LOT of restraint.

7. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    What is loud? Pushing a lot of air (full-range sound, deep bass) loud or that subs-cut-off-to-get-more-dB's-per-watt-and-thus-getting-a -nasal-tone loud?

To my ears all the lightweight designs are with deliberate low-cuts built in do not move enough air to be called 'loud'. (an SWR SM-400s with Goliath III 4x10 is what I call pusinga lot of air loud - even with the 30Hz cut off)

Herwig

8. Come tell that to my fEARful 15/6.

At 35 pounds, it moves more air than any 410 and weighs half as much.

9. That SWR combination isn't really that loud, nothing a markbass LMIII with one of their 410 cabs couldn't top.

10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    FWIW Markbass rigs are known for loud clear tone and sound. i have a LMIII and a 102p and never have to crank it although I am not in a loud band. I know others who are who use them with no issues. If your band plans on blowing the doors off at clubs you might have and issues but most clubs and people who go to them really don't like this anymore.

11. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    I use a Markbass 2X10 combo (same head as MKII I believe) with a Markbass 2X10 extension cab. I play in a 5 piece with 2 guitars, keys, drums and 3 vocals happening. I've used this rig at big outdoor events (with PA support) as well. If you are not loud enough, they need to turn down. Volume is no substitute for talent. You rig should be loud enough.

12. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I use a Little Mark III head with one or two Traveler 151P cabs. With just one cab it's louder than my 121H combo with the same wattage because of the larger cone (assuming xmax is the same for each speaker, but I don't know if it is). Point is, although adding the second cab boosts the wattage to 500w it's moreso the extra speaker that gives me more SPL.

Anyway, just the one cab and head at 300w is enough, usually, in one of my medium-loud bands. I even got away with using one cab at an outdoor gig recently. Two cabs at 500w sounds huge, as loud as I wanna be. Otherwise, the PA is there.

13. Nice avatar.... : D