Markbass s450+ Berg 322 to replace yorkville?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Circus, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Heya, hows everyone doing? I am looking at upgrading my current rig, which is a yorkville xs400h and xc410 cab. The markbass is inexpensive, light, and from what I have heard, sounds huge. Right now I am 99% sure this is the way I want to go, just haven't played through one, and don't really have a chance to beforehand.

I want to ditch the yorkville as it sounds a little muddy for me, just not a fan of the tone, although I know it is still a great amp. Especially for the money. I play jazz at school, and rock bands on my own time for the most part. Using a stingray at the moment. What does everyone think of this rig? the markbass s450+ Bergantino 322. Thanks!
  2. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Give Jim a call and ask him what he thinks... He's always been on the money when it comes to recommending the right amps to use with his cabs... I'm going to be trying the Yorkville 800 with a HT-115 or HT-210 for smaller gigs and my Kern/Crest rig for the bigger gigs...
  3. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I use a Markbass Little Mark head and I'm very pleased with it. It's loud, can get many usable sounds out of it. It's very portable and lightweight. And they're well priced.

You looking to buy from Clubbass?
  4. I own a Little Mark and have tried the S450 . IMO using the quality to "bang for the buck" formula the Mark Bass products are a great value. They sound clear, the eq sectons are musical, have plenty of headroom, and are built to handle the rigors of giging.

I also own the following amps.

Glockenklang Heartcore, Aggie db750,and a Ashdown ABM 300. I like and use all of them for different reasons. I find that the older I get the lighter the rig gets. So I use the Little Mark alot because it is the lightest and sounds great. I couple it with an old bag end deep red 15 cab I have.

5. Thanks guys, yeah I am looking at clubbass. Basicly I am at a point where I want to get a rig that will last for the rest of my life. I want to get something a little higher quality than my current setup, and basicly not have to spend money on a rig for a very very long time.
  6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think that would be a great rig. That's my favorite cabinet and I've heard the little Markbass. Great little amp and I'm sure the 450 would be even better. You should however check out the Yorkville 800 though. It really blew me away at how great it sounded. It'll have more sounds available than the Markbass as well. If you're looking for just a great clean sound than go Markbass. If you want something more versatile than go for the Yorkville. I havn't liked other Yorkville amps but that 800 is a pleasant surprise. Either way you can't go wrong.
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    it'll be like going from a twinkie to a champagne truffle. :smug:
  8. Hey there Circus, I played through the very rig you are thinking about getting at Club Bass in Toronto, it was stellar to say the least! The Berg 322 cab matched up with the MB S450 head is without a doubt the most portable, loud hi-fi all-purpose bass rig I have ever heard. If you are dealing with Club Bass rest assured that Dave Freeman only supports gear that get's it done. Mark Bass really are the best kept secret in bass gear. BTW, I have used both the Yorkville XS400h and the XS800h through various 4x10s including the XC410 and there is no comparison between the Yorkville stuff and the MB S450 and the Berg 322. The new Mark Bass/Bergantino rig you are thinking about getting is as good as it gets IMO.

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'll be the first one to say it...the current XC410 and XC210 aren't up to snuff, IMHO...I've played through a prototype of the new 210, and it's light years ahead of the current production model. Hoping to have these on the market soon. The XS800H should really be tried with the XC808 or another "big" cabinet (8x8, 6x10, or 8x10) to get a true feel for what it's capable of.
  10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    When I tried the Yorkville xs800h it was first through a Bergantino HT210s/EX112s combo and then an NV610 and NV215. Incredible sounds all around. Hearing the amp with the tube engaged through the NV cabs was huge to say the least.
  11. Hey Rev, I absolutely agree with you that the XS800 sounds best with a big cab. It sounds very good with the XC808 in particular, but I still heard that underlying Yorkville tone. I agree that the XC410 needs refinement, but I have always felt that the Yorkville tone (including the XS800h) was missing the warmth and deep bottom end found in many other amps. Having said that I stopped using Eden amps due to some reliability issues I experienced and now I am currently using a Behringer head and a Behringer 4x10 cab, because I am tired of paying top dollar for amps that always leave me wanting. With the Behringer I know that I got exactly what I paid for, even though as Bass Player mag recently said "the Behringer BX3000t's home tone is warm and punchy" and much more to my liking when it comes to the tone I need on gigs. Yorkville's build quality is still second to none though, they just need to go one more step to get the warmth issue sorted out IMO. For the record if my Behringer rig craps out prematurely I will be going to Club Bass and getting the same Mark Bass/Bergantino rig that Circus is thinking about getting, but until then I will continue to push the Behringer rig hard at every gig and not look back. Sometimes you do get what you paid for and sometimes you just get stumped.

12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree, Jim's advice really helped me put togther a nice amp setup. He's a straight-shooter and a great person to work with. His advice has been invaluable to me.

Good luck on putting together your dream rig, I'm sure the folks at ClubBass will also steer you in the right direction. IMO if you give that HT322 enough watts, it will sound amazing.

- Art
  13. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    How do you define the "Yorkville" tone?

I dumped another leading brand, well known for it's deep bottom and warmth, to go back with Yorkville when the new X series amps came out. I've played through many of the OLBs (Other Leading Brands), and the XS800H holds it's own with all and exceeds a lot of them, IMHO, biased as it may be (refer to the CUP...)
  14. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    This begs for signature quote......