1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass SA 450

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zbysek, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I might have an opportunity to trade my Markbass Little Mark III (made in Italy) for Markbass SA 450. I expect that it is generally the same amp with added two bands of semiparametric mids. I would appreciate this addition, however, I am afraid that the resale value of SA 450 would be lower than of LM III due to the fact that it has been discontinued quite time ago... Any thoughts? Pros, cons? How is the DI output on SA 450? THX

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  2. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I have a TA501 which I think is similar vintage. Great amp, but it needs a 8ohm load to be happy. At 4ohms it will randomly cut out on me. Don’t know if the SA 450 might have a similar problem.

Zbysek likes this.
  3. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Thank you for your comment. Good to know. I have never had problems like this with LM III...

4. Zbysek likes this.
  5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Thank you

instrumentalist likes this.
  6. Do you really need to trade your LM3? As the SA450 must be over 10 years old I would expect it to be cheap enough to buy as a second amp. Then after you've tested it out on a few gigs decide whether you prefer it to the LM3 and sell/keep as you see fit. It never hurts to have a backup amp.

I've got a LM3, two SA450s and a TA503 and have never had any cutting out problems with them at 4 ohms.

Zbysek likes this.
  7. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I don't... But the idea is to trade with the other bassist...if we don't, he would probably not sell it. Plus I already have 3 amps in my staple..:)

8. How old is your LM3? If it's 2012 or later it will have a class D power section and the class AB SA450 might be worth the swap. If your LM3 is earlier I wouldn't bother with the trade, the class AB LM3 is a great amp.

Zbysek likes this.
  9. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Yes, it is. Mine was manufactured in 2010. I am happy to have the class AB power section. I was working under assumption that SA 450 would be the same amp (with same class AB power section)...just with added parametric mids...was I wrong?

10. You are correct, the SA450, TA501, TA503, LM2 and early LM3 do share the same 500 watt power section. The SA450 is physically larger than the LM3 and does have the two semi parametric mid controls. However, when I use my SA450s I don't move the mid frequency controls from the straight up position so it's effectively the same as the LM3. In my opinion your LM3 is as good as any Markbass head and there's no way I'd swap it out for a SA450. Sonically the SA450 has more flexibility but I prefer the punchy nominally flat EQ settings on all my Markbass heads. The high and lo controls get used more often to help with venue differences. Your LM3 is the most famous and well regarded Markbass head ( along with the LM2) and has/will hold its value better than the SA450. However if your LM3 is only a backup head to one of your others the SA450 could satisfy your GAS.

Zbysek likes this.
  11. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Thank you for your exhaustive response!

12. Did you mean "exhausting"?.

13. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    No, I meant exhaustive, as "thorough"...

14. Yes I realised, my stand up comedy routine needs some work too....

Zbysek likes this.
  15. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    :)

As a non-native speaker, I learnt not to try to be funny in English...especially in written communication. Last time I tried to play with words, I ended up beeing accused of posting "cheeky" comments on this very forum...

Sparky Mark likes this.
  16. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Btw: do you know when was SA450 discontinued? Thanks

17. Not exactly but around the time the LM3 was launched 2008/9 ish.

Zbysek likes this.