Markbass SA450 Vs. MoMark SA500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Gotsch, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Hey there.
    Has anyone A B'd these heads or had experience with either? I'm looking at the SA450 because it seems like it's a Little Mark 3 with sweepable mids. I like the sound of the LM3, but I just want a bit more control over the low mids without having to cut a lot of the EQ. I'm wondering about the MoMark, because it seems similar and easier to find. Does it have the same tone?
    Thanks a lot. :)

Zbysek likes this.
  2. Your take on the SA450 compared to the LM2 and early class AB LM3 is correct. The SA450 has the same output PCB but with a more flexible EQ section. I see more SA450 coming up secondhand than the Momark SA500. The SA500 used the 500 watt class AB power frame so will be as close to the SA450 as you can get.

Zbysek and Tom Gotsch like this.
  3. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Great, thank you!

4. You're welcome. I forgot to say that I own a LM3, SA450 and Momark 800 (with the LM3 pre and SA500 EQ) and the tonal differences are so small I don't think I could tell them apart in a blind test. The class D 800 watt frame needs a tiny push in the low mids/lo to get the LM3/SA450 punch but they all sound very very similar.

Tom Gotsch likes this.
  5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I was in the same situation as you. I own older LM III (Class AB) and like it a lot...and was considering changing for SA450 because of the sweepable mids. In the end, I decided not to...because I was advised that the resale value of LM III is probably higher than that of SA450. I solved the issue by using preamp with sweepable mids (EBS in my case). You might look at the BMC from EWC... Bass Mid Control 2|E.W.S.

Tom Gotsch likes this.
  6. I decided to buy an SA450 (well two actually) as back up to my LM3. If I could only keep one I think it would be the SA450 because of the semi parametric mid controls. The only advantage of the LM3 is it's slightly smaller.

eff-clef, Tom Gotsch and Zbysek like this.