1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass SD1200 vs Carvin B2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by irbass, Jul 27, 2012.

1. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    I've been looking threads about these amp heads , But I couldn't find any thread comparing them.

There's a lot reviews about them alone, but It will help me a lot comparing the 2 heads.

Please let's us know if you already play with any of this heads and tell us the pros and cons.

It will be helpful to me and probably to a lot of people, like always the talkbass has been helpful for a lot of bass players.

Carvin B2000 - Power Output: 700w @ 8 ohms, 1300w @ 4ohms, 2050w @ 2 ohms , 14lbs $699.00

Markbass SD 1200 - Power Output: 750W @ 8 ohm, 1200W @ 4 ohm, 9lbs $1,099.99 at musiciansfriend

Thank's a Lot.

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've got an SD1200. I like the EQ section; parametrics go a long way, and the Markbass VPF/VLE things are great.

I've tried the B2000 and thought the eq points were OK, and the amp is easy to get sound good.

I wouldn't use a B2000 due to the lack of flexibility in the EQ section and I like the Markbass filters very well, and the Markbass warranty is transferable.

3. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    Thank's nice review, a friend of mine said the markbass head get a good and clear sound and loud.

Anybody else, Please

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    While I have not owned these two amps per se, I have owned a number of amps from both companies and in my opinion Markbass is better built and more reliable. I ran an LMII for 4 years of gigs and rehearsals (lots) and it never once gave me a problem.

5. I think that particular Markbass can run at 2 ohms can't it? EDIT: although on their site it doesn't mention it, so I'm not sure about that one...

I remember once hooking up four 8 ohm 121 cabs to it - it was thunderous!

I played a show with the SD1200 this last weekend (it was provided as backline) into two fender proline cabs (410 + 115). The engineed took the bass out of the PA because the amp was so loud in that venue and they kept turning me down on stage... I wasn't even pushing the amp yet!

The EQ is pretty straight forward and with everything set flat the tone is pretty much flat sounding too... the extra headroom is great for keeping your sound clean and articulate, and the markbass filters are nice if you use them. The only gripe I have about this amp is that it doesn't have a mute switch, on a 1200watt head? Thats a blown speaker waiting to happen somewhere down the line...

basically this head is decently small and light for the incredible amount of power and clean headroom it delivers. An onboard compressor would be nice but isn't really expected.

An excellent head IMO, would never be upset to find this head on stage

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am not aware of any Markbass amp that does 2 ohms.

7. You are 100% correct, that is what their site says, and what I always believed, although I know we did hook that head up at 2 ohms and it worked fine, so thats kind weird :confused:

I was kinda surprised because the shop manager was the one who did it, so I just took his word for it expecting a small mushroom cloud but it seemed to work perfectly?

8. I contacted Marckbass to see what the deal is and here is their reply:

Thanks for contacting us.

As at the note at the product page, minimum ohm load for all Markbass heads is 4 ohms amps, including the SD 1200.
    ItÂ’s not possible to work at 2 ohm, the electronic protection starts as the impedance of cabinet/s connected is below 4 ohms and this could damage the unit.
    Feel free to contact us for any further questions/doubts.
    Thank you once again.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Just a guess here but maybe the volume you were using wasnt a big enough load to cause the amp stress even if it was 2 ohm? Just a guess.

10. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    So looks like the markbass head is a lot of better than carvin head!
    Always i heard good things about markbass!!

11. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    Anybody knows if one of this heads gets more than 1000w@4ohms like the factory say it.

Because in real world a lot of heads don't go at specification, made by the company.

12. RAWillis

RAWillis

Aug 12, 2012
    I've looked at the B2000 and was really considering it. But the SD1200 looks more appealing. I've played on an Ampeg SVT4 for most of my bass playing, do you know how the SD1200 compares?

Roger W.

13. ^ It's got more immediate power on tap and is sort of a bit cleaner sounding IMO.

The SVT 4 PRO has plenty of power but you have to use it right to access that power, with the SD1200 it's just a case of putting the knobs flat & turning up the volume

My experience with the SD1200 is that it is kind of similar to playing through a high powered PA poweramp with a clean channel strip as a pre... I turn the VLE and VPF all the way off and EQ pretty much flat unless the room is offensive and I have to defend my tone with an eq shield

14. diver7atms

diver7atms

Dec 3, 2008
    I have owned several Markbass amps. The smaller 500 watt amp have an analog power section. The 800 and 1200 have a digital amp section. I didnt care for the sound of the digital amp section compared to the smaller amps with the analog amp. I think the MB is the best sounding amp made. It just isn't powerful enough for my needs. If you go for more power, you sacrifice sound. I play thru a Carvin BX1500 thru 2 markbass cabinets. 4x10s in each. I just did a a\b comparison today. If I crank the MB up really loud, it just does not come close to what I can get from the Carvin. You can get any sound you like from the BX 1500. I think the 2000 would not give you as much sound shaping as the BX1500. I even tried using my markbass LMK as a preamp into the carvin. It did not work. May be user error. LOL Hope this helps

15. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    i use an SD1200 through two EA CXL 1 12 cabs @4 ohms. the amp is barely past one and quite loud.
    good clean power and tons of it. the VLE control is handy when using an active bass; it essentially works as a passive tone when you may want to roll off some highs. has a useful parametric EQ
    pretty tough too-mine took a spill on the concrete a month ago and dented the rear corners and keeps ticking.
    the only thing that would be nice is a half power switch so you can open up the pre gain a little wider.

16. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    Nice. And tks for all reviews . I decided to go with Markbass SD1200.
    In Sep/2012 i got the head and Nov/2012 i got the Barefaced Big Twin cab. So from that, I'm still happy with it. The only thing The head and the cab never left my room. I still have it like brand new, I use it just to practice. I did overpower without thinking about it. But that's ok. It's Better have what you want than complain for not buying it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015