1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass/Trace Mix Nice Tonight

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Russell L, May 15, 2011.

1. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Well, I wanted to add an extension cab to my Markbass 121H combo since we were outside tonight. All I had available that would work was the 15" in my old Trace Elliot GP7SM combo. But, that combo has always pleased me for sound, and now, it's nice that I can unplug the speaker from the amp. Had to haul the whole 78 lbs., though, to get to use it. But...

It was worth it. First thing I did was to play an open string, and while it was ringing I kept plugging the 15 in and out see hear the difference in volume and depth. It's really the change in depth that I liked most. Even with just the 300w provided by the LMII with one speaker I would have enough volume for the gig to hear myself, although more headroom is nice. The 15 really added to the sound. I'm sure you all know what I mean about the bigger sound. It may be a bit unique, though, playing a B&C driver with a Trace driver, and both with a LMII. Very nice, ya'll, I must say.

The best tone I had all evening was with my '88 Jazz Bass Special only on the Precision pickup, and with the tone controls all flat, VLE at noon, VPF off. Folks, that's just plain flat with only a few highs pulled down a bit. It cut through with a burn to it, and had punch, too. I finally bumped up the low to about 1:00, that's all. I was amazed then when I thought the kick drum was kicking with me, only to discover that it was actually my sound that was that punchy. I mean, wow. What a sound. But, you'd never know how it worked until we all played together. Picking around by myself, I didn't expect it. We had to be playing for it to happen, and come alive like that. Kinda like a phenomenen. Oh, and I didn't notice any phase problems, although they may have been there, I dunno. Just a real surprising and pleasing playing experience tonight.

Anyway, that feeling you get when you just played a great gig is still lingering with me, so I figured I'd tell you folks about it.

Thanks for listening. Ya'll be good.

2. Good lord, you can get away with that on speakons or XLR but a 1/4" lead shorts the amp every time, so don't do that with a 1/4".

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    No, no, I didn't do it fast. I mean, I listened for awhile, unplugged, then hit another note and plugged back in. But, thanks for the heads up.