Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MarkBass Traveler 102 T102

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slombovia, Oct 29, 2004.

1. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    I would like any and all opinions on this cab. I have tried the Ampeg Portabass 210 and the Epifani 210 UL and did not like them. The Ampeg was too quiet and farted too easily. The Epifani sounded cardboardy (yes, there's that word again). I had all but given up on light weight neo cabs. But I have heard that the Markbass w/B&C drivers is much better - louder and more lows. Agree? Disagree?

Thanks,
    Tom H.

2. Bass Player Magazine said it was light weight, but very aggressive sounding and that the tweeter was too harsh.

3. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    Was that the combo review? And if so was it the same basic speaker config? Or was this a recent cab-only review that I missed?

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Tom, have you heard any of the neo-equipped EA's or Accugrooves, personally?

Tom.

5. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    No, if I can sell my Elrick 6 I will consider a pair of small ones. I played thru the EA CXL112 and found it a little harsh in the upper mids. That's my only EA experience. I have no Accugroove experience but Jack Read just became a dealer and I will have his preamp soon so he is going to try my rig (Read pre/Stewart World 1.2) thru his Accugroove Tri210L and let me know.

I thought that the smaller Accugroove cabs didn't handle lows at much volume though???

Tom

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    First off, you definitely owe it to yourself to hear some more EA cabs. I just picked up a pair of NL-210's, though I haven't had a chance to fire them up yet (which is, of course, driving me nuts!). The Wizzy 1x12 is also an entirely different beast (see my Mini Cab Combo Shootout).

As for Accugroove, I have not heard a Tri 110 or Tri 112, but I have heard the Tri 208 and Mini Whappo (which I think are both discontinued). Both the 208 and the Mini would go very, very low, but weren't exceptionally loud (though the Mini was actually quite loud for its size). However, with the Tri 210L (which I own), Mark has hit upon a cab that can be a real giant-killer in terms of both volume and frequency range. Between it and the EA 2x10's (VL-210 and CXL-210), it's just a matter of personal preference. I suspect the same will be true with the NL-210. I will be interested to hear what Jack thinks of the Tri 210L. Also, from what I hear, the Tri 112 goes pretty deep and gets pretty loud for its size, too.

7. Both, I believe. It included the 210. Tweeter would be the same anyway. I'll go check. It was only like three or four issues agao. They advertise a lot on BP magaizine so I sensed they did not like the amp. The best they could describe the sound is "aggressive" which is a euphemistic way of saying something sounds harsh and unplesant. But the disclaimer is: trust your own ears. Your ears are more important than the audience. :eek:

8. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I think the only EA cabs portable enough would the CXL110 (not enough lows) and the Wizzy (not enough highs for slap or my keyboard sequences - though if I could afford a cab just for fretless it would prolly be the Wizzy).

A pair of Accugroove Tri-110s would suit my portability needs. Also, I hear they are good for recorded music so my keyboard sequences should fare well thru them. But again I have not heard them, nor am I certain they would have the lows I want.

It's pretty tough making these decisions when you can't try them out. The only reason I have experience with the EA CXL112 and Bergantino HT112 (my fave so far) is because I was in Seattle for a few days and had a chance to go to BassNW.

Tom

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    A few months back I tried the same Markbass combo that BP reviewed. I don't think I've ever been so unimpressed by any bass gear as I was that time. IMO, it managed to be both harsh and lacking in clarity on the top end, midrangey but not very punchy, and desperately short of bottom and the meagre lows it had weren't even tight. Maybe it could be EQ'd to sound better but in the flat position, using both a Warwick Thumb 5 and a Fender Jazz it was totally underwhelming. :(

If I was buying a new rig now, I'd be getting a pair of Tri-112L cabs with an iAmp 800 to drive them. (Not that I've played them but on paper they seem the logical step onwards from my Acme Low-B2s).

Alex

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    First of all i play 4 stringed fender style basses the most with fingerstyle and sometimes with a pick. I do not slap.

I use a Markbass little mark head with 2 2x10" cabinets. Each 8 ohm. One is a Genz Benz, the other is the Markbass Traveler 102.

I am very happy with this cab. Used together and with my little mark head it has great volume and sound pressure. together with the Genz Benz it work great.

I do not use the tweeters on my cabs since i hate them in general. I read the BP review and I am used to say that Markbass sound is someway similar to GK (which i love). more rounded and less aggressive maybe, but similar to me.

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I have played through Markbass Little Mark heads a couple of times and was quite impressed by them. I'm planning on buying one in the near future.

12. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I m thinking too. Probably the little mark head (so impressive) with tri 112 accugroove cab.
    I tried this head in a markbass 410 and it was really great.
    This head is very simple and very versatile. The quality of the EQ and power section seem unreal at this price, it s unbelievable.
    I think I will ad a compressor to complete the EQ wich needn t graph EQ to me.
    I was looking at a new ebs head to replace my last stolen one, but the little mark will be my choice.