MarkBass TTE 500 Tube rolling anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twinfallsbass, Mar 22, 2016.

1. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Arizona
    I did a search and did not turn up anything on this subject. Interested to see if anyone has changed out the stock preamp tubes with something else and what they thought. I know member " Agedhorse " says changing out the preamp tube does very little, if anything, in the Shuttle series amps ( 6.0-9.0 ). Are these amps even receptive to tube changes, meaning does swapping out tubes in these amps change the colour of the sound at all?

2. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Arizona
    anyone?

3. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow, no TTE users out there???

4. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Arizona
    bump

5. Hey

I have a TTE 500 but not rolled tubes in it. I'd be keen to hear what others have tried but dont see myself running this experiment any time soon as I've no tubes spare.

6. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Arizona
    I have a bunch of 12ax7's lying around, I'll swap in a couple and report back. Just wondered what others have done, but with the surprising lack of responses, apparently no one here has......

7. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    I love my TTE. Changed the tubes yesterday. Having done this in other amps, the difference IME is far less than people like to go on about in postings here. As it is with most things here, people like to justify their expenditures... if there's even any real difference at all.

In the TTE there's no appreciable difference that I could discern. That's at home, without making recordings to A/B (if I have to do that to maybe tell a difference, it's not a difference worth even mentioning and certainly nothing you could ever distinguish in a mix or nothing you couldn't accomplish with the knobs on the face of it). I tried some EHX, some Gold Lion, and some new JJ (which is what came stock in mine) that were tested for high gain in all three of the 12ax7 slots.

If it'll make a difference anywhere, it's probably only in the gain stage (U1) and even then it'd only be a very slight difference in gain. Bear in mind that the Compressor tube (U2) isn't a 12ax7.

8. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Arizona
    So I did some tube rolling today. I had a bunch of vintage JAN GE, Amperex and Chinese 12ax7's lying around. I did not however have any ecc81's ( tube for compressor ), so that stayed put. With eq set flat, too me, all the tubes ( listed earlier ) installed into the V1 position sounded better than the stock JJ ecc83. The best was the Amperex Buggle Boy, followed by the JAN GE, Chinese and last the JJ; to me JJ's just sound way too dark and muddy. So in the end I have have V1- Amperex, V3/V4 have the JAN GE's, the V2 ( compressor ) will be replaced by a JAN Sylvania 12aT7WA when I get it in the mail. Love the thought of having all vintage tubes in a vintage style amp....

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Got a decent little collection of NOS tubes...nice! The Bugle Boy isn't too cheap these days. Your results pretty much mirror what I've found with tube rolling in my Ampegs. But I ended up sticking with the stock JJ's in my Heritage SVT-CL and V4B because the NOS 12ax7's I have left (Japanese Raytheons made on Mullard gear and a label-less tube that I'm pretty sure is a GE) made them too bright in comparison to my 69 SVT with all NOS tubes (including a couple Amperex 12dw7's). But if you like brighter 12ax7's and don't want to spend crazy NOS prices, you might like new Tung Sols. They sound awfully close to the Raytheons and GE, which to my ears, sounded about identical.

eff-clef likes this.
  10. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi JimmyM, thanks for the complement on the collection of tubes! I like going on eBay and buying NOS when the price is right. Yes the Amperex tubes are getting more expensive to buy, but deals can still be had. In parallel to your Ampeg SVT story, I too went through installing many NOS GE, Amperex, Sylvania and other tubes into my Mesa 400+. Ended up leaving the cheap Chinese types that were initially installed, they sounded the best! Expensive NOS tubes are not always the answer! I value your opinion greatly and always read your threads and reply's when I can. Thanks again!

neal davis and JimmyM like this.
  11. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Arizona
    And thanks for the advice on the new Tung Sols, I'll have to give them a try!

StayLow likes this.