1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass tube 500vs GK fusion Hybrid light vs Genz Shuttle 6 vs SWR headlite 400 tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mooch, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Mooch

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009
    MN
    Hey all, I'm now in the market for another amp. I'm think around 700 bucks seems like a decent price range.

I currently am using a Hartke 3500 with the Tube pre and 2 hartke cabs a 4x10 and 1x15.

I love the tube preamp, I use no solid state but want the power and eq and not spend 3000 on an all tube amp if you get me.

I have looked and looked and narrowed it down to start looking at the head I posted in the topic title.

I am gonna go try out these if I can find em before I buy, but I wanna know if anyone has any of these heads and pros and cons if any.

Just off hand I'm leaning toward the genz-benz shuttle 6, then the GK hybrid, then the markbass, and bringing up the rear the SWR.

Any thoughts?

2. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I was looking at those same heads, but not the SWR. I'd like to know the same thing. I just got a new cabinet, a Epifani PS410 and I was thinking about getting a new head. The Genz Benz shuttle 6.0 is at the top of my list. The GK MB Fusion 500 was but I really can't find many reviews on it, but the 6.0 gets a lot of luv.

3. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Funny you should ask, I just came from GC where I compared that Markbass, the Genz Shuttle and a few GKs (although not the model you mentioned) side by side. (Didn't see an SWR). The amps couldn't be more different. Here's my take:

The one that blew me away was the Markbass. Man, you really can get any tone you want out of that thing - from ultra deep/clean to warm, midrangy and punchy. It's all there. I couldn't believe that it was only playing through two 10" speakers because the bottom end was so full and deep. Amazing amp.

The GKs were impressive also - tons of power, very deep and full sounding. But you can't get the warmth and midrange on the any of the models I tried. It's more of a transparent sound - sure to be popular with basic rockers and metal heads. But if you want anything to the warm side like for blues/pop/funk etc it just isn't there. Still, it's a great amp with that exception. Maybe the tube model you're looking for will solve the warmth problem - they just didn't have that one handy to try out. I have heard of a few quality issues with GK, and virtually none with Markbass.

I almost never pay attention to what the sales guy says so when he told me not to even bother with the Genz Shuttle I insisted on trying it out to form my own opinion. But...he was right. That's a very thin sterile sounding amp. He had only one in his shop and he said he hasn't been able to give it away. It's not anywhere in the same league as those other amps in my opinion, and really it's not in the same league with Acoustic, Peavey, Ampeg or most anything else.

Right now I'm saving my money for the Markbass. They are in the upper tier of bass amps along with Eden in my opinion.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Shuttle 9.0.

There can be only one. :ninja:

5. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    @PDGood Did any of the heads you tried give you that fat punch like a tube, but still crisp and articulate? What Markbass head did you try?

6. desertsolace

desertsolace

Feb 10, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB
    I went from a Hartke 3500 and went with the Shuttle 6.0.
    I don't think a "very thin sterile sounding amp" is a fair criticism. I know it is all subjective but at least give a better description of what you don't like. The Shuttle is versatile: using the eq with the the boost options will increase the lower and higher shelving. The low boost will give you a huge low end with larger cabs.
    The markbass II and shuttle are very different.
    The shuttle IMO tends towards a crisper mid sound that I love. The markbass II i was only able to try with MB cabs and I thought they sounded good but I didn't think it carried the higher mids with the bite that I like in my jazz bass. Some may describe this as a more even sound but IMO it sounded hollow.
    There is tons of love for both MB and GB here as they are both great amps overall.
    The shuttle has a better di (pre/post options, mic/signal options), a mute switch, aux input. I don't think the littlemark II has these if they matter to you.
    Some have reported that the LMII is overall louder; compared to the Hartke 3500 though either will be louder.
    I thoroughly enjoy the tube pre with the shuttle for a some grind (If you are using passive basses (except maybe the g&l pups) it will be less grind IME) When wanting a clean sound, keep the tube gain low and its great.
    Not familiar with the GK or SWR sorry.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021