Markbass tube 800 vs Mesa D800+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AngryHammer, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Markbass Tube 800

11 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. Mesa D800+

44 vote(s)
    74.6%
  3. Other

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AngryHammer

AngryHammer Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Eureka CA
    Anyone with personal experience? I'm selling my Peavey all tube VB2 to get something more lightweight. I tried the Markbass Tube 800 at a guitar center and it sounded killer, just a great range of tonal variety, and I can get one cheaper because they've been around longer so I'm probably going that route, but I never met a Mesa I didn't like, and the d800+ has some more tone controls than the d800, looks pretty cool.

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Me? I'd go with the Mesa.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Mesa.

4. canvasoso

canvasoso

May 31, 2008
    Georgia
    Mesa

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I’d take an Andy Field designed amp over anything out there. Mesa For sure. Just wish I could afford one! :(

agedhorse likes this.
  6. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    As there was an "other" option I'll say Quilter BB800.

Zbysek likes this.
  7. Mesa. It's a level above the Markbass IMO.

8. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The Quilter is probably the closest Class D amp to the Mesas that I've used. It's a fantastic amp, but not quite a Mesa..especially if you rely on your amp having a DI. I do not, as I run a Mesa Subway DI pedal into it, and I've gotten to where I'm using my Quilter a lot simply because of it's size. It fits in my accessory bag that I always have anyway, and it's one less thing to haul around!

Zbysek likes this.
  9. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    I tried the D800 (through my own cab too) and didn't like it at all. I don't think they are at all similar personally. The Mesa has a baked in tone that I didn't like and the Quilter has a "feel" that feeds back through the bass strings similar to a clean tube amp. Tone-wise the Quilter is far more transparent with a lot of weight behind each note.

Zbysek likes this.
  10. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Go with the Genzler 800. I've owned the Mesa 800 and 800+ and IMO it's far better. I've done side by side testing with the Mesa and Genzler and the sound engineers I have contact with liked the Genzler better to. The Mesa gear is great gear and that isn't a bash on it at all.

Happy Face and AngryHammer like this.
  11. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Markbass. You only need the right controls.

AngryHammer likes this.
  12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    mesa

13. AngryHammer

Jun 25, 2017
    Eureka CA
    Obviously I'm not going with the quilter, as I like a variety of tonal controls, same reason I wasn't interested in the standard d800.

The genzler looks interesting, if I could demo it somewhere that would be neat, but I am a fan of the tube preamps.

I am unclear in why people dislike Markbass, I mean sure all that orange looks douche, but what gives?

14. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    There's a fickleness that tends to prevail. As soon as a new "flavor" comes out, many relagate existing products to the "back of the bus". For my money, Markbass is a Standard and should be given due respect. There are some top shelf players that continue to support the product. Many that I hold in high regard. That aside, I really dig my Markbass equipment. It's been flawless and sounds great!

Al Kraft, Zbysek and TAZ like this.
  15. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    There are many reasons I see. Mainly, you now have top quality amps that cost about the same as a Markbass. Many of them have already been mentioned in this thread. Also, they are a Guitar Center house brand so that automatically brings out the hate. But the biggest reason the hate started was when they cheapened the product, moved production overseas, and raised the prices.

16. AngryHammer

Jun 25, 2017
    Eureka CA
    Word, but they still make some stuff in Italy, you just have to make double sure which one you are getting.

And why do people hate guitar center house brands? I mean I'm sure GC has done some shady poopie, but they are one of the last places you can go to try out a wide variety of gear before buying.

SJan3 likes this.
  17. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Noting wrong with Markbass, but I like the Mesa products better in terms of voicing, tonal flexibility, and unsurpassed customer support if it's ever needed.

SJan3, Zbysek and Gearhead17 like this.
  18. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    Mesa!

19. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    Mesa. I owned both. (Currently own a D800 and a D800+) The build quality on the Mesa far exceeds the LMT 800 IMHO.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Happy Face likes this.
  20. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Not all accurate. Yes, moved production to Indonesia. No, did not cheapen the product. No, did not raise the pricing.
    FWIW, my new 121HR is an outstanding cab. Excellent build quality. You will, no doubt, differ in your opinion. That's ok.

Zbysek likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021