Markbass users, how to use the XLR input of the Little Mark amp heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrbaloo, May 10, 2018.

1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

I have noticed that most of the Markbass Little Mark amp heads have an XLR-input without phantom power option. Ok, the Tube-models includes the phantom power option but all other does not.

My intention was to use the XLR input for a condenser microphone attached to my double bass, but without phantom power it is not possible to use the XLR input. Ok, it would be fine if I went for the Little Mark Tube but the Mini CMD 121P comes with the Little Mark Combo amp which seems to be identical with the Little Mark III amp without phantom power option.

How do you use the XLR input without phantom power option with these amps?

2. Are you sure those are inputs?
    Many amps have an XLR output for connecting the amp to the input of a mixer or FOH system.
    What is the model number of the amp?

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Yes. A dynamic mic is needed as in a sm58 or 57. Condenser will not work: you need a seperate power source for it.

aguacollas likes this.
  4. Hendricks97

Hendricks97

Jan 3, 2017
    My little Mark 3 has an xlr input and one for output

SpanishDave and 96tbird like this.
  5. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    You don’t have any PA support? Sounds like a recipe for feedback. You’d be better off with mic’d sound projecting away from the instrument and a pickup for your amp I should think. I wonder if you’d have phase issues....

6. Do a search of the Little Mark Bass amp. :p
    Here I will help you out.
    Click>Markbass Little Mark amp - Google Search: :whistle:

:D

able.com%2Fwp-content%2Fgallery%2Fsigns-you-need-to-clean-your-technology%2Fcat-sits-on-keyboard.gif

7. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    XLR inputs and output jacks are different "genders", so it's hard to confuse them.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  8. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Commercial User

Sep 16, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    Retail store manager
    You could get a separate phantom pwr supply box.
    ART Phantom 1 - $55.00 U.S. - or the Behringer PS400 - $25.00 U.S.

BadExample and StatesideRambler like this.
  9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, the simple and best answer imo

10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    You can buy a battery powered phantom device at any p.a. shop. Then you can use a condenser mic.

11. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    I have already got the Radial Engineering SB-48UB which is more versatile than a normal phantom power device. You simple plug the condenser microphone into the box and then using a tele plug direct to your amp instrument input.

But the original question is regarding how and when you use the Markbass Little Mark amp head XLR input (w/o phantom power). I.e. how do you use the xlr input?

12. Maryvillebass

Maryvillebass Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Maryville, TN
    Markbass user here. I have no idea why that input is there.

Zbysek and bdplaid like this.
  13. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    So you can have a short lead to a DI box on the floor and have a long lead with no noise and no losses to your amp. Or to feed your GAS for a Wal Custom with balanced output.
    I don't know, and the manual doesn't say, but my intuition would be that plugging into the 1/4" would cut off the XLR input, so only one can be used at a time...

TrevorR likes this.
  14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Some upright basses include a mic, a pick-up or a combination of mic & pickup, the balanced input allows for the use of a mic without needing to add a mic preamp (for the additional ~20 to 30dB of gain necessary with a mic). If it's a condenser mic and there's no on-board phantom power, an external phantom power supply is needed.

15. To the original question, you will need an external power supply to use a condenser mike with the Little Mark. There are a few good rec's here. As common as condensers are I'm surprised and a bit disappointed that Marco chose to leave that feature out on that series of amps.

I've made good use of my CMD121P at a few non-music events as a portable P.A., using it with my dynamic Shure SM-57. The Markbass owner manual doesn't address that input beyond telling you it exists. Given the controls on the amp it's surely intended by Markbass that you use one input or the other, not both. I'll throw in with agedhorse that the XLR input is aimed at DB players.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    SteveCS likes this.
  16. Blissful_Lad

Blissful_Lad Inactive

Feb 22, 2018
    LA/NYC
    Correct answer.

However, this is the best option:

Denecke PS-1A 48 Volt Phantom Power Supply

DEN-PS1A.jpg

mikewalker likes this.
  17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Why is this the "best" option?

Jeff Scott and Munjibunga like this.
  18. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    When I got my Little Mark II and I saw the XLR connector I thought " I wonder if you can use a mic with this?" I put a wind screen over a SM57 connected it to the LMII dropped the mic down inside my upright bass and it actually sounded pretty good. If my Realist pickup ever goes bad this is a good backup.

Zbysek likes this.
  19. Blissful_Lad

Blissful_Lad Inactive

Feb 22, 2018
    LA/NYC
    Your assertion may be correct, if I interpreted it correctly: Avoid Markbass.