1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass vs. Boutique Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Melvin7822, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I know Markbass cabs are meant to shine on the gig and not in the store. There's been barely any posts about live application of these cabs those and multiple posts of people diskling them in the store.

I specifically searched for videos on Youtube where you're specifically hearing the cabinet and not the bass through the PA (videos without a PA basically) and I think Markbass made good on their word for the most part.

Has anyone that owns Bergantino, Epifani, or other boutique cabinets had the chance to try a Markbass cabinet in a live setting and make a comparison?

I'm pretty sure my next cabinet will be a Bergantino AE410, but the Markbass cabinets have been calling to me and I actually like the yellow.

2. good point... I have never heard them in a gig situation. But that is because whenever I try them in store they are farty, quiet, and honky sounding :\. I suppose you never know though. I would trust bergantino WAY before markbass though... regardless of not having heard each applied in the same setting.

3. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Quiet and farty is always dangerous :eek:. Perhaps the cab was farty because it needs to be broken in. I would expect the cabinets to sound honky as they are midrange voiced to cut through the mix. When you tried the cab, did you have the EQ flat with the filters off? Was it a smaller 8 ohm cabinet that you tried?

I agree that I would continue to keep my faith in Bergantino, but the curiosity is getting to me. I can't deny Jim's genius.

4. not sure exactly which models they were (gui**** center doesnt care a great deal about labeling things) but I have tried 2x10, 4x10, and 1x15 markbass cabs there. All of them performed similarly, though I must admit the size and weight of the 210 was amazingly compact which is a plus. I did try several EQ options and generally used a very slight amount of the filters if any at all.

There is the possibility that some guitar hero came over in the store and blew out the speakers by using it improperly, and you are probably right about their midrange cutting through the mix. I also tried the 4x10 and the 1x15 together and really was not impressed at all by the results, especially compared to the GK cabinets in the store.

Markbass cabs probably can be used very well I reckon, but bergantino rocks HARD

5. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Markbass should do a Markbass challenge. If they offerred to lend me a Standard 102HF for a week, I would take the challenge to see if it performs better in a live mix than my Bergantino HT210S. I would happily build comparisons and spread the word. Are you out there Peter Murray?

Otherwise, I think it's too risky to purchase the cabinets and then not have them work right away and risk not being able to return them (especially since the nearest Guitar Center that stocks them is almost 2 hours away).

6. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
  7. I'd shoot him a PM, he jumped on me when I asked a question and he was super helpful.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Peter's very helpful, but don't expect him to be THAT helpful to where he'll give you a cab to try out ;)

9. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I did PM him earlier this morning to share some insight. I'd love to have a matching rig, but I need some gentle coaxing to move me in the direction of the Markbass cabs when I'm planning on the Bergantino AE cabs.

I'm particularly interested in live comparisons between Markbass cabs and other boutiques. I would like to pick up a Markbass cab, but afraid that it might not work out for me and I'd be stuck with it. I haven't made any true gear purchases in a while and have always traded gear towards what I wanted.

10. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I've been gigging my 6x10 Markbass rig for over half a year now and have let many other bassists sit in with it while playing in a band setting and they all say the same thing-- "monstrous souding rig dude!". They all generally like it better than the pro gear they play through, and I love it. I think the cabs are very cutting edge as far as technology goes, and they sound amazing in a live setting.

And I play mine solo all the time, too, and they sound great in that arena as well, they just have to be eq'd a little differently. They're punchy, ballsy, have great lows, cutting mids and singing highs-- what more could I want?

11. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I think their 610 is light years ahead of their other cabs. In fact it's the only one I really like at all.

12. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Hey phat daddy,
    I really enjoyed reading through the thread you had started a while ago. I would think that the Markbass cabinets would work best overall. I wouldn't really need to use them solo, but I would gauge my response on to how easily they can be EQ'd for solo.

I would imagine the two filters work perfectly with the Markbass cabs. Everytime I use the VPF with the Bergantino, it just seems that mid scoop is in the wrong place. I'm getting closer to considering the MB cabs. I also wonder if they plan on releasing covers for their cabs.

13. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Actually to call my rig a 6x10 is a little bit elusive-- I use the 2x10 combo though the 4x10 HF for a total of 6x10's. I really like the 6x10 cab too, but the size is to much for me to haul around. However, my two cabs stack up beside the 6x10 cab just fine sonically.

14. What a mess

What a mess

Aug 20, 2008
    Valdosta Ga.
    The only person I know that owned both swears by the Berg and at the Mark bass box.
    So far I have agreed with everything else he has told me.
    I have the LMII and Berg 3-10 and 2 1-12's I love the way they sound.
    What are you looking for sound wise what will you be playing through them?

15. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    It's always tough to explain one's sound since one's understanding of a term can be completely different from another's. I work with a band that does many styles so I need something extremely versatile and has a lot of clarity. Other than that, I would just like to hear a little more growl from my ash/maple MTD KH5.

16. MoEllis

MoEllis

Sep 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    i've learned that you have to know how to fiddle with the vintage emulator and mid scoop... that changes the sound so drastically.. i love my markbass rig and thinks its the cleanist i've played through... but thats just my taste

17. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Markbass is boutique now?

18. I think the amazing price point of the LMII, and their decision to distribute in the US through Guitar Center has given some the opinion that MB is in the 'mid line' of gear.

Based on performance, quality and features (and price for heads other than the LMII!), I would consider them 'boutique', in that they are a relatively small, specialized company making, for the most part, quite high end stuff. That Neo 610/300 watt all tube amp is about as 'boutique' as you can get IMO.

I believe, for example, their 410 cabs are about the same price as Bergantino and Epifani, etc. (maybe just a touch less).

Whether you like the tone and voicing is a separate issue IMO.

19. I get confused about this as well, what constitutes a boutique manufacturer from anything else? Is it better? It's usually more expensive.

20. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    +1
    I was under the impression that they are a low cost cookie cutter brand. :eek:ie Peavey, GK, not that it is bad.. But that is where i see them since i mostly see college folks or young players buying them.

When i think Boutique i think
    Bergantino,Accugroove, Meyer,perhaps Bagend, Thunderfunk, Euphonic Audio, Epifani, but
    I never thought of Markbass as boutique.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.