Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Markbass vs Euphonic Audio heads Please help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by furiously funky, Mar 20, 2005.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    I was in a music store yesterday where my friends and i were trying out bass amps & cabs. my friend desided on a markbass clubbass head and a bergantino 2x10. I loved the berg. i WILL be getting that, but i tried both a markbass club bass head, and a used ea head. Both come with a shoulder bag, and the used ea head was about 200 bucks cheeper than the mark after its all said and done. The very helpfull owner of the shop said i would get more power out of the markbass, but that really isnt a huge factor for me. Im not sure what way to go. Anyone have an argument for or against either one of these heads? (i was very happy with the tones coming out of both. They were different, but both great)

So if you have any ideas/ suggestions let me have em!
    (i play jazz, r&b and funk type stuff with a fretless 6 trb bass if that helps you give me ideas)
    thanks
    -marty

2. Bennito

Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    I bought my entire rig from Club Bass. Lakland 55-01, Mark Bass S450, and 2 Berganinto 112s. I love it. It's powerful, light, and sounds great. I don't know much about the EA stuff, but I can tell you that for the price, you won't find a better head then Mark Bass.

3. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    i know, the club bass was awsome, and for anyone who wants to know, there is a promotion where you get the shoulder bag with the head now where as its usually an extra hundred bucks. The EA head is 1100 new i think he said, so i was really considering that. If it was being offered at new price, id go with the mark bass hands down.
    thanks for the interest.
    I tried the 12s, and it was great, but i thoght the 2x10 was amazing it was my favourite cab in there, and i may even grab a second 2x10 to go with it in the future if everything goes well

4. Gyoon

Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Go with the EA head. The Markbass stuff is fine, but EA is EA. I went to clubbass too and checked out the heads. Pretty good, nice tone, but it didn't have a level selector for the xlr out, which is something you will miss when you record. The EA 350 has some great write ups here.

Glenn

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO,

great gear comes out of Toms River, NJ... :cool:

6. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I guess we've all been to the same store.

I heard the Mark Bass, too, and I think it sounds great.

It probably doen't matter which one you take, either one is great. You'll not gonna say in a year "I wish I would have picked the other one"

Just some points where I see the differences:
    a) Do you like to tinker a lot, spend hours fine-tuing the sound? Then get the EA. Are you getting easily confused with tons of buttons? Then get the Mark Bass
    b) Service: EA's service is outstanding. If you have a problem you just send it back to NJ and you'll have it back a few days later. Mark bass service from the factory may be much longer turn around, but I would think that because they are somewhat simpler many locan shops can repair them.
    c) I think the Mark Bass has a limiter in the power amp, the iAMP350 doesn't. With a limiter in the power amp it is much more difficult to destroy your loudspeakers by accident. However, with 350W you should not have an issue if you have good speakers (I have the iAMP 800 and I've never seen the clip light. )

Hope that helps.

Oh, and you picked a good store to shop.

Wolfram

7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Odd, EA's website seems to list an onboard limiter on all the iAMP line. :confused: Then again they aren't listing the 350 on there any longer. Perhaps the limiter is a newer development and the 350 is an older discontinued model.

I've heard nothing but good stuff about the iAMPs. I would definitely get that personally.

8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    ahh yes
    club bass

i love that place

where are all u guys from??/

i'm in hamilton!

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Tough choice because both are high quality heads. I wrestled over buying a Little Mark or that EA350 at Clubbass, I went with the Markbass because it was new with a warranty.

10. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    Ill check, but i think the mark bass will be serviced here in toronto. I was thinking the used vs. new w/ warrentey. I i think id be happy with either. If im having this much trouble even choosing.
    im going to ask if i can a/b em next time im in.

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I came really close to buying that EA350. I'm going to be back in Canada soon and was toying with picking it up. It was a difficult decision. I have never tried the EA and I am sold on its value by virtue of the reviews here in TB. In the end, however, I had gigs coming up and I pulled the trigger. The price was right and the shop is 30 minutes away.

I found the Markbass head gave me all the tonal flexibility I need to suit different rooms. It's loud. It's light. It's new with a warranty. Markbass is a relatively new entrant in North America, but they have been around for some time and they're very popular in Italy.

I have used it for two gigs so far. No final conclusions yet as I need to ring it out more. It has a very quiet side mounted fan that keeps the unit cool. I leave the power on all night, on my gear. That head was cool to the touch after both nights of gigging. Cool, not warm. I picked up 17"laptop bag for it, so it has lots of padding around it. It's a giggle to pickup a 450 watt head that weighs 16 lgs. Gotta love it.

Good luck with the decision. Don't forget to post a review of whatever you buy. The review section is filling up nicely.

12. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I'm from Buffalo

13. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    London

Big Brother Dave Freeman is watching as well. Hi Dave

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The iamp800 has a limiter

15. ShantiCat

ShantiCat Supporting Member

You mention price. With the euro doing very strongly these days and the $US and $CND still taking a beating, I would guess that this would influence price. To me this makes the EA more attractive. Also as mentioned in another post, if you like to dial in your sound, EA is the one.
    Tim

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    The USD is taking a beating, not the CAD. The CAD is doing very well against the USD, as are most currencies. Pricing from the US should be very favorable. Prices from Europe fairly stable over the past year.

The amp head in question, if I'm not mistaken, is a used EA350 sitting at Club Bass in Toronto. No exchange rates to deal with.

17. Get the EA. I have played the two side by side, and I went with the EA 350. I paired it with an EA cab and it is insane. You will love the EA, and there are a lot of controls, but I have yet to use the EQ section while playing. I bypass it and it still sounds great!

18. ShantiCat

ShantiCat Supporting Member

The CDN dollar is only doing well because the American dollar is weak. I will admit the CDN dollar is getting a bit stronger but still devalued...it will not go over 0.83 unless the USD falls even more. With a minority government and unemployment rate around 7%, the dollar will not get better. But since it is stonger buy the EA, plus it sounds good. I bought the EA with CND dollars when the Candian dollar was 0.62 USD, so I paid a lot.

19. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Again..as I mentioned before, this is a used item sitting in a Canadian store sold in Canadian dollars. There is no connection to exchange rates. Clubbass want CAD650 for a used head. The thread is about but new for more money or buy used for less money. The price of the head is great, for a used head. It's a discontinued model. The Markbass is new with a warranty. Either head is good.

20. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

Interesting. Why?