1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass vs GK?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scotius2001, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Just a curiosity query. Anyone pitted similar Markbass heads with a GK head? (LMII vs 700RB or 1001RB for example) Just curious in particular how they stack up for tone, volume and punch.

2. I just went from a 700RB to a LMII. I haven't had the LMII for too long so I will say that the GK has been a work horse until recently where there is a constant hum and pop when turn the amp on and off.

The LM-II beats the 700RB, in my opinion, as far as tone, volume, and punch. I could never get the EQing right on the GK so I had to settle for a sound that was close to what I wanted. The LM-II, I haven't had to touch the EQ at all because it sound wonderful flat. The 700RB has always seems a bit "sterile" to me unlike the LMII which I feel has a decent amount of warmth to it.

The 700RB has moved to being my backup amp and the LMII is my gigging amp.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know.

3. I tried several GK's and MB's a couple of weeks ago when I was shopping for my new rig (ended up with the MB LMII and love it!).

To me, GK heads seemed to color the sound too much. I guess that's that "GK sound". This might not be a bad thing depending on whether or not you like that sound. It sounded great with some basses and not so great with others. The thing is, no matter how much I fiddled with the controls on the GK heads, that "GK sound" was there, just maybe with more bass, more treble, more mids, etc. depending on how I set the controls.

The Markbass, however, offers an extreme amount of tonal versatility, and that's with just using the VPF and VLE filters.
    The MB doesn't, to my ears, have a set "sound". It's clean and transparent and will sound different depending on how you set the controls. It's very easy to make the MB sound like several different amps all in one depending on what you do with the controls. Every bass I plugged in to the Markbass sounded great, and furthermore they sounded like what they should sound like. For example, a Fender Jazz sounded like a Fender Jazz, a Musicman sounded like a Musicman, a Pedulla sounded like a Pedulla. I also feel the Markbass amps are more responsive, articulate, and punchier than the GK's. As mentioned before, I also feel the GK's are more sterile-sounding and the MB's have the capability of being warmer and more natural sounding.

4. homerplaysbass

homerplaysbass

May 18, 2005
    Preston
    I've just sold my LMII and bought a GK1001RBII. I had the LMII for a year gigging every week with it through 2 Aguilar 112s and it was an astonishing rig. I sold the Aggies and bought an Epifani UL310 when I saw one for sale and the guy who bought them had a GK1001RBII. Out of curiosity we AB'd the two heads and to our ears, the GK head sounded much better through the UL310 plus there's a fair bit more headroom.

I've had the GK for about 2 months so far and I've done about a dozen gigs with it and although the LMII is a great head, I prefer my GK1001RBII for the punch, tone and sheer volume it kicks out.

5. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Boy, that was a tough one for me. GK700/1001 + Neo cabs vs. Markbass LMII + MB cabs. To me, both were great amps, especially for EBMM's. However, in the end, the versatility of the two LMII tone knobs and the weight of the amp really made it for me.

6. Peanuts

Peanuts

Oct 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    I have a markbass Little Mark (old version)
    Now I'm trying to decide to keep the MB or to replace it for a 1001RB-II.. they're both very great... can't decide can't decide...
    Help me, Keep the posts coming :D

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    To me they are both great amps. I would say that the power is all in here, soundwise the GK to my ears is a little bit more aggressive in the high mids, while Markbass is more warmer and rounder.