1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass vs Hartke Hydrive

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DLI848, Jul 24, 2012.

1. DLI848

DLI848

Oct 28, 2009
    How do the Markbass cabinets compare to the Hartke Hydrive cabs? Markbass is kinda pricey, but I played through one and it sounded amazing! Great lows. Just want to get peoples opinions who have tried both.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Used to own a CMD 121p combo and played through many of their cabs at GC. Markbass cabs are very good, but all of them have this strong upper mid presence. The upside to those upper mids is to get lost in a mix you really have to try. The downside is it got kind of irritating to me after a while, and I went back to Ampeg cabs within a few months. I still think the heads sound great, but just couldn't hang with the cabs.

Hartke Hydrives are more up my alley, although I don't use them. But they do sound quite good to my ears and they don't have that upper mid bark of the Markbass cabs. The Hydrives are a case where lower price doesn't mean lower quality.

But it's all a matter of taste, and you could as easily have the opposite reaction that I had. My suggestion is to try both if you can. Also try some Ampeg cabs (hey, I had to say that!) ;) But between Markbass and Hartke Hydrive, I would go Hydrive.

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I've been cutting some high mids a tad with my Markbass cabs (two Traveler 151Ps, and a 121H combo). I started doing it mainly to calm the clack of my nails, but have found it to also smooth out the Markbass bark as well. Surprisingly, the 121H combo seems deeper upon first listening than than the 151P with the same settings, but the 151P can go deeper at more volume if I dial it in, especially if I run both of them. Then they can sound huge.

Don't know a thing about the Hydrive. Sorry.