1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass warranties at GC - further clarification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cheezewiz, Feb 24, 2008.

1. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I stopped at the Columbus GC yesterday, with the intent of checking out and possibly purchasing a Little Mark II head. I did so, and was very impressed with the head. I then plugged into a Mini 121P combo (LMII head in a very small 112 cab) and was even more impressed, so I said I'd take it.

We went to ring it up, and I told them I wanted it at $899, which I believe is the standard Markbass price. They had it ticketed higher. Sales tard went into a speech about how it was just marked down to $899 for the President's day sale the week before. I explained to him, that actually it wasn't just marked down for the President's day sale, but anyway.....
    They said OK, then proceeded to try to sell me the warranty on top of the price. I explained to them it came AS PART of the selling price, and they should have a memo from
    Markbass explaining this to them. I invited the sales guy to go to his managers office and check for the memo. Finally, after arguing with the sales tard for a few minutes, a more senior sales tard came over and told him that it was included in the price, but it should be ringing up with the warranty listed on the receipt, and it wouldn't without me paying extra for it. I finally ended up telling them I'd take the amp at the standard price, I would NOT pay any extra for a warranty that was supposed to be included in the price, and that I would just keep the receipt and trust Markbass to do the right thing if there were ever any problem.

As we were leaving, my girlfriend just had this kind of confused look on her face about the whole thing. I explained to her how shopping at GC was almost the same as shopping at a car dealership. You should assume almost everything out of the sales tards mouth is born from ignorance, lying, or both, and that it COULD be a good place to buy if you went in educated about the product.

I'm very impressed with the product. I understand it's a large distribution channel, etc., but I so WISH that Markbass had gone a different route than GC to distribute the great amps.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    As of February 1st dude I don't think they come with the GC warranty anymore. MarkBass has a 2 year replacement warranty for the original owner and you have the "option" to pay extra for the GC warranty. I think I am close, but Peter Murray can clarify.

Search MarkBass Warranty on here.

EDIT: Found it

So you can pay for an extended warranty now, but it's not standard. The MarkBass warranty doesn't transfer either.

The store was right in this instance. Sorry.

3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Damn, I hate it when GC is at least partially right. Ah well, the thing is, GC STILL has to handle it for you, because the amp has to be returned to the store, and GC is the ONLY place you can buy markbass new in the US.

4. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I bought my Markbass gear at the Columbus store and did not have issues concerning the warranty they just wouldn't move on the price. I guess the price on Markbass stuff is non-negotiable though. If you go in there ask for Chris in guitars. He seems to be the best sales guy in that particular location. He's been there for a few years and seems to know what he's doing. He actually knows about the products and how to sell them. He gave me a good deal on my Stingray when I bought it there last year.

5. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I believe Chris may have been the guy who came over and corrected the tard I was arguing with. If I go to GC for something, it's normally Toledo since it is a lot closer to me, but I knew they didn't have MB and Columbus did. They certainly had a nicer selection of stuff than Toledo does.

6. Funny, although I bought mine before the change in warranty was in place I told them (when the "upped" the price) that no, I wouldn't pay for it that way.

After about 20 mins of back and forth, they got it right.

BTW, I absolutely LOVE my 1X12 combo, too!

I love carrying it tp rehearsals!!

7. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI

I don't think so, as far as I know my Eden dealer in Mystic CT. has been a MarkBass dealer since before anyone even knew what MarkBass was.... www.alphaaudioworks.com

8. Peter Murray

Peter Murray Commercial User

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Artist Relations and Social Media Manager, Pigtronix and Supro
    This looks like an old dealer we had before the Guitar Center arrangement. They are not currently a dealer for us. I guess they have not changed their website.

PM

9. Peter Murray

Peter Murray Commercial User

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Artist Relations and Social Media Manager, Pigtronix and Supro
    Hi there,

The price you were quoted is low--the regular price is currently $30 above that. So you got a bit of a deal.
    I'm sorry there was confusion at the store. The warranty they were trying to sell you might have been an optional extended warranty (Performance Guarantee) but your amp does come with an included 2-year warranty, which begins after a 30-day return period. This is hard-wired into the system and is automatic. If anything goes wrong with your combo, you will be able to exchange it, unless the problem is due to abuse or misuse. I suggest you hold on to your receipt just in case.

If you have any further questions, please PM me.

Hope you enjoy the amp!

Peter

10. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Vinny, Peter's right . Alpha doesn't carry Mark Bass any more. I have one of the very first Mark Bass rigs to hit the US ( before the Guitar Center buyout and move to Chinese components) and got it from Andy.
    Too bad. It's a great rig.

11. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    Your first mistake was dealing with any sales tard at all. I find it much more advantageous to establish a rapport with a manager.

12. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Thanks Peter. It appears they were correct, and I was not! Anyway, I think it's an incredible combo. I had every intention of just getting the LMII, but when I heard that combo, I was just blown away at the sound for the size of the enclosure. Can you confirm that the "combo head" is the same head as the LMII, with just a different paint job? My apologies for starting this thread while I had bad information.

I ran the head from the combo into my 410 today, and was just amazed. It was louder than my SVT6, which has over twice the rated wattage. On top of being louder, the tone was much better. The LMII is certainly a winner.

13. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    GC Columbus is a joke. The employee turnover is ridiculous. I work at Sam Ash Columbus on breaks from school, and if Sam Ash corporate didn't drop the ball on our stock regularly, there'd be no comparison. Sam Ash just doesn't have the stock, unfortunately, so you habe to deal with those GC bozos to get the good stuff sometimes.

14. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Markbass is a great company that has failed epically by marketing through GC in the USA

15. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Yep, for me it's the best little combo out there. I certainly love mine. I mean, I lift weights 2-3 times a week, but it's still darn nice to be able to carry such a light amp around. And, it sounds great!

The head is the LMII, BTW.

Have fun with it! :)

- WG

16. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    That might depend on the store you're dealing with. I have no problems dealing with Store #440 here in Dallas.

17. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Yeah, I stopped at Sam Ash too. I hear you on inventory. Other than the Phil Jones stuff, they had crap. Walls and walls of Hartke. Yehaaa.

18. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    And I have no doubt that my local guitar center would be able to get me the markbass head I want if I so desired, at the correct price as well. The failure is in the fact that the deal is worked out with GC exclusively. Failure is a bit harsh, because obviously Markbass profits tremendously from having their amps sold at GC. So in that regard is it the exact opposite of failure. The deal with GC discounts the consumer, and possibly leaves them only the choice of dealing with a crappy Guitar Center. They should at least have them available through guitar center online.

19. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Yep. Sam Ash owns Samson, who owns Hartke. We do have Eden though.

Anyway, glad you got your amp, sorry you had to deal with crap.

20. Yeah, I am not impressed at all with how many Markbass/GC stories seem to pop up on here.

With the changing of policies that have already caused confusion, and having to talk to a Markbass PR guy on a forum unaffiliated with EITHER corporate entitiy to get answers that should've been given at a store does not instill much faith in a company.

Fortunately it seems Markbass quality is enough to make up for these little incidents... its still enough to call this a blunder IMO on Markbass' part. The decision to go with GC that is... something is getting lost in the communication between the two companies and changing policy isn't helping.