1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MarkBass Warranty Repair Mess

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jeselman, Mar 5, 2013.

1. jeselman

jeselman

Apr 24, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a Little Mark Tube 800 that is only 10 months old and used approx 15 times. I really loved the amp (paired with MB 2x10 and 1 x 15) but it cut out on a gig over 2 weeks ago. I've been in markbass warranty repair limbo ever since.

I called the Guitar Center in Manhattan where I bought the amp and they had no idea where there was an authorized MB service provider. I emailed MB and had to wait over 2 days for response. Turns out their warranty is managed in the states by a company called Virtual Sounds Technology in Pasadena, CA and there are no authorized MB repair shops with in an hour of all of NYC!

VST tells me that if I pay to ship the amp out to them they will have an expedited 1-2 day turn around. Well, they received the amp over a weeks ago and they still have no idea when it will be ready. Apparently they contacted MB last week about some parts they need and they have yet to hear a response!

Any ideas on what I can do or am I just SOL? Any one else had issues with MarkBass warranty service?

-Ampless in Brooklyn

2. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Just hoping it works out. I'm a markbass user and a GC frequent buyer. I'm sure your feeling pinched but hopefully, through these boards, someone will step in and either help or offer more advice.

The only thing I'd say is maybe its time to look for an alternative until this thing is worked out. I'd have to believe that their reputation of being a top brand would stand and your problems will work out.

3. CS is not a MarkBass thing from what I have been reading here on a couple threads.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I hope it works out I'm pretty sure it will and remember when they say 1-2 day turn around that means after they have all of the parts to fix it.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If they say 1-2 day turnaround, it should be a 1-2 day turnaround and that's it. Not having the parts on hand isn't much of an excuse, since you'd think Markbass would make sure their service centers are supplied. A major part of the reason I quit using Markbass was their warranty service woes. I keep hearing it's much better now, but I'm not seeing it, except that board swaps seem to be cheaper than they used to be.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I would think that repair turnaround time (assuming you get it back reasonbly soon) is about right. However, shame on them for promising 2 days when they couldn't deliver.

Don't really see a 'mess' here at this point. I assume they will get the part and all will be well.

Just curious as to why the OP thinks he is 'out of luck'.

7. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Meh. Over here if you have a busted amp you've got a two week wait minimum, warranty or not, any manufacturer. It's known and accepted that if your amp goes cheerio within two weeks of a show you want to get on the phone to your mates for a loaner. Might not be the case in the US but a 2 week wait isn't the end of the world.

I wouldn't be paying for shipping while under warranty though. Fk that noise.

8. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    They'll fix your amp. They'll send it back. They're just not doing it as fast as you wanted. That IS their fault for stating something they couldn't backup. But you're not "SOL". You'll get your amp.

9. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    :eyebrow:

10. gadgetgirl

gadgetgirl Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    East Coast
    Did you email service@markbass.it and explain what's happening with the service company? Maybe they can expedite the part on their end.

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Did they give you 2 days in writing? In an email? If you had any proof, I'd bet they'd cut you a break and give you a loaner.

12. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Best of luck. I won't buy/own any MB stuff as I had a less than stellar experience (over 1 month wait for repairs and I'm local to VST). Since you're in Brooklyn, I'd say take a serious look at Aguilar.

13. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Interesting..My Littlemark is going out to VST tomorrow for warranty repair as well. I got the same info from VST in an e-mail about the 1-2 day turnaround. There is someone on this site that had a great experience with VST. I posted a similar thread about MB warranty repair a few days ago. I will subscribe to this post and keep you informed on my warranty repairs. I hope all goes well with your repairs.

14. jeselman

jeselman

Apr 24, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    IMHO the GC NYC flagship store not having any idea where to get a MB product fixed under warranty, plus MB not listing who handles their US warranty service anywhere on their site and taking 2 days to get me that information, combined with VST not honoring their statement in writing of a 1-2 day turn around, topped off by VST having to wait over a week just for a response from MB as to when they will ship them the parts equals a mess. Not to mention this amp is only 10 months old has been used at most 15 times at moderate to low volume.

I feel SOL because it seemed like I'm getting screwed over and I have no recourse.

I reached out to VST and asked for some sort of loaner or replacement since they have not honored their 1-2 day turn around but I've gotten no response.

I'll try emailing service@markworld.it next but I won't get my hopes up.

15. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    For sure GC, regardless of which one, should absolutely be of better help then just shrugging the shoulders.

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Absolutely, given that GC is the sole importer, distributor and reseller of Markbass in the US. :scowl:

17. No doubt you are right. However, from the rumors going around, GC is hanging on by a thread right now...I wouldn't expect them to be "taking on" anything new right now.

18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    What do you mean by:
    Being the importer they already have that responsibility.

19. By implication, I was thinking that GC might be able to be more "accommodating" with repair issues other than "under warranty" issues. However, ( and I'll say it again - just for you) with the rumors that are floating around out there - there is little to no chance of that happening.

20. Possible the past policy of G.C. exchanging defective MarkBass units is now part of their current problems.