1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass warranty repair.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by musicman666, Mar 15, 2013.

1. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    A few weeks ago or so there was a thread on 'Markbass warranty repair mess'....can't seem to find it now,but the OP was having a difficult time getting his amp repaired. A little over a week ago my Little Mark III started blowing fuses when ever I turned it on. I believe it was caused by my tuner,( it happened when I was clicking tuner off and on while setting intonation, there was a loud pop every time I would engage-disengage tuner). Anyways I clicked the link on the Markbass website that listed their warranty repair centers. I contacted the repair center in my state,(VST in so-cal). I e-mailed the company on a Friday with all the appropriate paper work and got a reply the following Monday with my RA #. I sent my amp out that following Friday and just got it back today! It seems they just replaced one of the boards in it. Works fantastic so far! Fortunately the whole process was very fast and painless for me. I can only hope Markbass warranty repairs for others go as smooth as mine. Thought I would share!
    Thanks!

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Thank you for sharing this. So often all we ever hear of are the negatives.

3. Yes, only one in ten will post the good, 9 of ten will post concerns. Nice to hear good for a change :)

But of course some here believe it could not have failed in the first place as MB products never fail ;)

4. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    ^^LOL...
    A quick question? Does anyone think it is possible that my tuner had caused this failure. It happened exactly like I had described in my post. I have the Korg pitchblack tuner. When I use it between my bass and amp it pops when switching it on and off. Quite loud too! Anyways not using this tuner right now...maybe I will send it in,(still under warranty)! LOL

5. I seriously doubt the tuner caused any problem. At least no quality amp would be affected adversely, your speakers are probably are not digging it though.
    Definitely send the PitchBlack for repair as that is not normal. Guitarists I have pointed them to (including my current band) have never heard a pop at all.

6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    For reference, it's here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/markbass-warranty-repair-mess-964224/
    I'd speculate that the SoCal repair center may be better staffed, equipped, and supplied than some in other parts of the country. The variability and unpredictability (read: lack of coordination) was one of the major points in that thread - not that the amp required service in the first place.

7. chrisdski

chrisdski

Apr 19, 2011
    Maine
    I just had my MB LM2 repaired at Virtual Sound Technology
    (http://www.vstservice.com/t-markbass.aspx). They are the national service center for MB. I give them 5 stars. They called me the day they received the unit with a diagnosis and repair estimate (bad power board, bad gain pot and busted speakon), fixed it with 3/4 hour labor, and shipped it back the next day (1 week turn around door to door). All told for parts/labor and return shipping was a smidge over $200. Anyways, I would highly recommend these guys if you need a MB repair.

8. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    I have a LMIII and use a Korg Pitchblack tuner as well... Haven't experienced this phenomenon myself, but I guess now I'll keep an eye/ear out for it.

Glad to hear things went well! Indeed, it seems the negatives are the ones I'm always reading about...

9. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    It kinda makes sense that we would usually only hear the negatives. People in need looking for help and resources. That's why I posted my great experience with VST after reading some bad reviews. I continue to use my Korg tuner with amp......no issues so far!

10. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Thanks for posting. It gives me hope that it would go well for me when, or if, the time comes. (I love my LMIII, but I know anything can fail, no matter what brand it is).

11. gscroggin

gscroggin

Feb 2, 2006
    CT
    Additional props to VST in CA (Virtual Sound Technology, http://www.vstservice.com/t-markbass.aspx), I had a great experience.

I began blowing fuses in my LMK (original model) at a show a few weeks ago, had to turn to my Aguilar Tonehammer pedal for backup via the PA. Contacted VST to find out if they do non-warrantee work and what the process was. Straightforward, sent the unit in, they called within 3-4 days of receiving it with an explanation and estimate. Replaced the defective main amp/power board and two fuses, had it back to me inside 10 business days from start to finish. $163 + $25 S/H. The unit works great again and is warranted for 90 days.

Certainly beats paying $899 for a MoMark-based LMK that doesn't exactly have all the same features as the original!

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Maybe word's getting back to them?

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The power of Talkbass can be a good thing...

:ninja:

14. MotorCityWest

MotorCityWest

Aug 25, 2013
    Seattle
    I'm part of the warranty thread.

I've had a horrible time with VST and Guitar Center, there are plenty of good and bad comments about warranty work.

The equipment sounds great and is very light. I used a Little Mark Tube 800 and 102P + 151P.

Due to my bad experiences, I got rid of all my Markbass stuff and went Fender Bassman 100T + 4x10 cab. Couldn't be happier.

I wish they would have handled my case differently and lost me as a customer, hope yours turns out better.