1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MarkBass with a Berg HS210, anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TSanders, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Anyone run a Bergantino HS210 with a MarkBass amp (esp a LMKII)?

If so, what are your thoughts on the pairing?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Used that as my small rig for a short while. OK, but not great IMO. The LMII suffers a bit running at 8ohms, and that bit of low end attenuation of that cab required dialing in a bit of low end from the LMII for my tone anyway, which made the relatively low wattage 8ohm operation of the LMII suffer a bit.

It surely does not sound 'bad' by any means, but given the weight of that cab, the performance was not as smoking as either that cab with other heads, or that head with other cabs IMO.

I really dug it with the Aguilar AG500 though. That mix and match is a killer small rig if you like a warm, fat tone in a reasonably small form factor.

3. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    I'd have to agree with KJung. I sort of prefer the Shuttle/HS210 combo.

But shee-it, the LMII/HS210 combo ain't bad, that's for sure! Just not an "ideal" combo.

4. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Yep for that combo I would add another HS210 or a 112 and then you have a compact HT322

5. Thanks for the input Ken, Bruce, and SQUID.

Im honestly a bit surprised that you both found it just okay. I really took a liking to this combo the first time I heard it. What basses were you using? Ive used this combo with a roundwound strung EBMM SR5, a flatwound strung EBMM Sterling 4, and a flatwound strung P-Bass.

I have given thought to adding a second HS210 down the road, or even an HT112.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It's not so much a tone problem as a headroom and low end issue with that particular amp/cab set-up. Also, I found the low end just attenuated enough on that particular cab that it really didn't do it for me on stage. It was plenty loud and punchy, but just too compressed down low at even moderate volumes for my needs.

Like any cab, if you add a second one, I'm sure it would sound great, extend the low end, and allow the LMII to run at its optimum.

7. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    I played through an LMII/HS210 combination for quite some time. I never really liked it as a standalone mostly because I could never get the low end I wanted. It's great paired with another cab like a 112.

8. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I can honestly say.. I am pairing the LM II and the Genz Shuttle 6 with an HT112.. and it's huge in sound.. when I also had an EX112S from Berg to the LM II.. couplied with the HT112.. it's a monster setup.. I mean loud enough for a 16,000 square foot club, with screaming people.. I kid not.. I did not DI out.

I used an LM II, HT112, and EX112S.. no DI.. passive Fender P bass and never went past 5 on the LMII volume.. all EQ was set top flat, with a slight bump at low.. both LM II filters set almost off--I do not like the filters much.. So, no, I never used a 2x10 Berg cabinet.. but I can honestly say 2 12s with an LMII head is all I will likely ever need.. anything more warrants the house's sound. From what I have read, and from my Ampeg 2x10 experience.. I would not pair a 2x10 cabinet with the LMII unless the band were a 3-piece and playing smaller clubs.. like maybe a 40 person place..

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 Two high quality 112's with the LMII pumping out all 500 watts is one thing. A single, rather mid oriented 210 at 8ohms is quite another IMO. Two HS210's IMO would be equally impressive with the LMII!

10. Well, after much debate, I have to agree with you Ken. At home the LMKII/HS210 rig sounds good, but on the gig its just okay. Ive had 4 LMKIIs now and while I like the concept of such a light, small amp to get my sound, I gotta add a little weight.

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

IMO it's as much the cab as the head. It's just not that great of a voicing combination to my ear. I would keep the LM and dump the HS210 myself:smug:

12. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd keep the HS210 and dump the LMII myself;). I had a LMII and it sounded OK for me, but when I A/Bed it with some Mesa amps I knew the weight (or lack of) made a difference. I just love 2-HS210s paired with a Mesa M6. No headroom issues there. Also no boomy low end and I stack 'em vertical to get it a bit closer to my ear.

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Two HS210's is a different story and a different topic . Also, the difference in Mesa tone from MB tone is also a valid, if different discussion(both the MB line of heads and the Mesa line of heads sounds killer with two HS210's to me).

There are very few stand-alone single 210's that I would be happy with,and the HS210 is not one of them for even moderate volume gigs. Putting a bit more power into it than a head like the Shuttle or LMII puts out at 8ohms helps, but does not fix the relatively compressed low end of that nice sounding but very small 210. That being said, again, two of them sound great to me.

14. Wow Ken, Im honestly surprised at some of your response to the HS210. My experience has been pretty different. I find it to be the best 2x10 as far as good clean low end and volume. This compared to cabs like the HT210S, Aggie DB210, etc.. that Ive used in the past. I will say doing an A/B with this cab and a MB LMKII and GK700RB-II was like night and day. With the GK this cab really sings, and is quite big in the bottom. While the LMKII/HS210 pairing left me underwhelmed, the 700RB-II/HS210 blows me away.

Now granted I have PA support (and I use IEM's one in one out), so Im just using my rig for onstage sound and feel.

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'm not particularly impressed with the DB210 either, and I agree, I would MUCH prefer the HS210 to that particular 210 (although the DB112's are among the finest sounding 112's I've heard IMO)! I really like the HT210s as a stand-alone if you get a lot of watts into it, but the SPL is significantly lower than the HS210. The HT210s with a Walter Woods Ultra was as close to a usable 210 stand-alone rig as I've achieved regarding volume and non-compressed low end.

Again, as others also posted above, I agree that the HS210/LMII is not a good 'mix and match'. The HS210 sounds much better to me with both the GK heads (I've heard that cab with the GK1001 and it sounded quite nice. My favorite head for the HS210 as a single cab solution is the AG500.... warm and fat with that cab.

My point above was that, with the right mix and match, I'm a bit more impressed with the LMII than the HS210. Pure IMO there.

16. Cool Ken. Thanks for the reply. Id really like to try an AG500 with this cab, but it will be a bit before I can makle a move.

17. OK KJung, your rep is on the line ;-)

I bought an HS210 specifically for use w my Aguilar db359 and the combination works great. But the head became a pain to drag around to gigs. Heavy, awkward and unstable on the shallow cab. So I parked the db359 at our rehearsal space, on top of an Eden 210 xlt where it is safe, stable and never moved. Sounds great: thick and juicy.

But the HS210 has been sitting idle...

I bought a MarkBass cmd 121p and have been taking it to gigs, in and out like a horn player ;-) But I have issues with the tone: doesn't have the snap and sizzle of the hs210 cab and sounds very different room to room depending on proximity to walls. Usually sounds kinda boxy with the bass disappearing out the rear ports...

Tried running it w the hs210 underneath... not bad, but kinda cardboard-like and still not like the db 359. Works better with the MB wedge tilting the combo up.

Tried an MB F1 into the HS210 and agree w you: the tone was sharp and lacking in girth.

Needless to say, I've been wondering what to do... the MB combo is great for rehearsals and small gigs but I need something a little bigger, warmer, richer, detailed for pushing my 11-piece R&B band.

So I took your advice: found a used AG500 for cheap and expect to plug it into the HS210 early next week when the courier arrives. Here's hoping you're right ;-)

Seriously though, thx for all the "tasting notes" on TalkBass! Your informed opinions are a great resource.

Cheers!

punchdrunk likes this.
  18. Post a thread on how that works out for you! I just got an AG500 + GS410 for my RnB gigs and am really interested in how the HS series pair with that head.

19. Will do.
    Saw you sold your Aggie combo. That, w the 2nd cab, had me twitching ;-)

20. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Let us know. The AG500 should totally, completely slay that 359 (assuming you don't like buzz saw distortion).