1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass xperts - A question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ba$$, Jul 3, 2012.

1. ba$$

ba$$

Jul 23, 2010
    AZ
    I am looking to buy a Mark Bass 4x10 cab. What would be the best head to pair with this, to power it to its max potential? What are my options?

I would only be using the 4x10 cab - most likely a 4 ohm cab.

Any recs would be greatly appreciated. Thx!

2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    It depends on which MarkBass 410 you intend to buy...
    Classic 104 is a sealed, 8Ohm cabinet and I doubt an LMII / LMIII can power it to its full potential. you should probably take a step up in terms of power.

The same goes for the 8 Ohm versions fo 104HF and 104HR. Maybe with the 4 Ohm versions?

I have the LMII for small gigs and as a backup. It has a very good power to size ratio but it does not manage to really push my 4 Ohm Ampeg SVT-410HLF. The amp goes into limiting way before the cab shows signs of strain.

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    How about the Little Mark 800 or SD1200? Or do you prefer a tube sound? Then, there's the Randy Jackson TTE 800, LMT 800, and more, I think. It's all about how many watts and what kind of sound you want. Why a 410? Or is that your preference?

4. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Why not go to a GC and try a bunch of MB heads with a bunch of MB cabs, and see what sounds good to you ?

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Just for clarification the Markbass 'tube sound' isn't really the 'tube sound' of a tube amp, or an amp with a lot of 'tube' in the preamp stage. It's a very subtle slight tube flavor.

6. ba$$

ba$$

Jul 23, 2010
    AZ
    Could someone breifly explan what the VPF and VLE filters do?

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    VPF: Variable Pre Filter: scoops the mids and adds high-highs and low-lows while doing it. Off in fully counter clockwise. Great in small quantities (up to about 9 or 10 o'clock), and with some judicious use of the VLE.

VLE: Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator:
    A passive treble tone roll off. Similar to a traditional tone control on your bass, but as you roll off the highs, it rolls off the tone in frequencies progressively lower. Also best used judiciously, and not to extremes.

8. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Aw, I just knew someone was gonna say that. I know it's not the full tube sound, but just some of it.

9. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I have found that in a mix too much of the VPF can make you disappear, and can cause your speaker to run out of excursion if you have a heavy hand at high volume. Be careful with that control. As for the VLE, I've used it up to around 2-3-o'clock with good results. (Now, I need to roll off more highs than most since I use my fingernails). One good tone for me, sometimes, depending on the band and volume has been with the VLE at 2:00 and the VPF at 9:30. Otherwise, I often leave both filters off and just turn the high mids back to about 9:00, maybe 10:00. That sounds really good to me.

10. +1. I had an RJ TTE-500 with the matching 15 cab. Traded it in for a CMd121p and a NY121 ext cab. The VLF filter does a better job of getting me "old school" tone than the TTE-500 did. Just my opinion.

11. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    You mean VLE.

I agree that it gives you an old school sound.

12. Yes, VLE. My bad.

13. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    Just to give an alternative opinion.

IME the TTE is as tubey as it gets. My LM11 with the VLE turned up only gets a small part of the way there.
    Lots of people use Sansamp pedals etc. to "vintage up" the sound of of the MB heads. I myself used a DHA VT1 with my LM11 and Minimark before getting the TTE.
    The VLE acts like a passive tone control and achieves a more vintage tone by cutting highs. The TTE can sound old school even with plenty of treble dialled.

14. Thats strange because the VLE is pretty much the same as the color knob on the TTE-500 except the color is a tube circuit and is slightly less sensitive

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Your best option is to forget that silly notion ;) How loud do you need to be, and how loud can you reasonably expect to go with a 410? Regardless of their power handling ratings, if you can get 400-500w into any 410 on the market, you're doing quite well. And unless you're playing doom, it's not much of an issue, and if you were playing doom, why would you just use a 410? ;)

16. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    logic leads to the ugly truth...+1

yeah. I know my comment is useless, just wanted to chime in and annoy Jimmy...:D
    sometimes there is an absolute need for interesting threads here at TB...:rolleyes:

17. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Personally, I am not a fan of 410 cabs. Two 15s suit me better. A 410 doesn't have good polar response, is heavy and bulky, and isn't any louder. My dual Traveler 151P cabs can spank any 410. When I get a Barefaced Compact and Midget stack, it'll spank anything else.

18. umm a 215 should be louder than a 410 - pretty much always...