Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Markbass??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joegeezer, Jan 27, 2006.

1. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Can anyone out there tell me where a guy can get a Markbass head? I would like to get a Little Mark II, I tried Club Bass , in Canada, they are sold out. Any dealers in the US yet?? Help me out here folks. Thanks

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thanks Smash! I just got off the phone with them. They are also out, but have some coming within the week. I have one ordered, and hopefully , on the way. I'll let you know how it sounds, when I fire it up. Thanks!

3. Rumor has it Guitar Center :( will have them in March.

4. That is correct. I just got some of the dish. Guitar Center is going to be the new distributor for Mark Bass. I think that is terrible news. They are famous for running things into the ground (not as bad as Gibson, but close). Also, the bad news is that there are a couple of parts on those amps that are proprietary (transistors, etc.), and when they go bad, you will have to wait for them to come from Italy.

My local guy who carries Mark Bass said that he is getting rid of them in favor of the new GK neodymium stuff. He said it is easily as good as the Mark Bass if not better.

Just some information for you.

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    This is ok, unless you want any neo box with 10's, or a
    300 watt head that is 6lbs. GK stuff is great, but these
    two companies seem to offer somewhat different items,
    with decidedly different tine. jmho

6. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    I gave up on it. They are not available at all till about 1 to 2 months, in Canada, or the US. I bought an Eden WT-330 instead.I think it will fill the bill for me.

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'm holding out. GC is OK to buy from, if you have people on the inside. I want to try the whole line, or as many as they decide to carry. The LM-2 sounds like it'll fit the bill for me, as I am trying to "lighten up" my stuff.

I play through a Behringer BX3000T (I know- but if some drunk dumps beer in it, I won't be out much!), which I get good tone from, and a Avatar 212, which I am replacing the crossover in. That's enough to power most of my gigs with no PA support, but I'd like to go smaller. I'm wondering what the LM-2 through a Schroeder 1210 would sound like...hmmm...if anyone tries this particular combo, I'd like to hear from you. Besides, I like different. I'm not a conformist by any stretch, and frequently "buck the trends" when it comes to gear and such.

I'm also considering Flite Sound cabinets, which would be nice and light. They supposedly sound great, and they weigh next to nothing. I currently drive a Chevy Metro four-door, so size is also an issue. Can't fit an Ampeg 810E in there, that's for sure! (Not that I'd want to anyway- not baggin on Ampeg, it's just that my fridge-moving days are about over!) So when it comes down to lightweight, powerful gear, I think MarkBass might be the way to go. Been following the other thread as well, and it seems that people who have them, love them. So I keep checking with my friends at GC, they'll let me know when they get there. I'll probably buy the first one from them, at least at my store.

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Basic83
    For what its worth. When I tried an LM II, It sounded
    a little like an Eden, but with a bit more happening in
    the mids. Didn't get to spend enough time with it to
    really be sure, but I liked what I heard. Sort of like a
    Focus with more lows and punch. I think it could be a
    great match with the 1210. JMO

9. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    I've got no interest in this but if you haven't notice it, a guy here is selling a LMII in the "for sale amp" part of this forum.
    ;)

Sheers

10. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    I've had THREE focus amps over the last 3 years. I get one, then I'm disappointed with the EQ range (for my tastes) and end up selling - then, I see another and I think "come on, it couldn't have been that bad and at only 5 pounds..and I'd buy another.

Just just broke the cycle with a Little Mark II and have to tell ya, this amp BLOWS the (600-watt) FOCUS away in overall volume and tone flexibility. Again, that's my humble opinion!

I've also owned a BUNCH of G-K stuff and they are definitely 2different animals.

By combining the VPF and VLE controls, you get an entirely different range of sounds without touching the EQ.

We all have different ears (and different expectations), but I don't think I'll be parting with my Little Mark II any time soon.

I'm very impressed, and I don't put it in the Eden, SWR catagory (at least for their amps).