1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

markbass?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by brianh, Jul 29, 2007.

1. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    anyone tried a markbass for upright bass...the head or a combo? just trying to get some opinions before i look into it more.

i tried one today with an electric and it was pretty cool...really light, loud, and not too expensive.

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Brian,
    Our local Guitar Center finally got their first Little Mark II, I played through it for about 30 minutes with an electric bass, but unless my ears are fooling me it will sound great with DB. Based on what I heard, I'm going to visit a friend of mine who just got a Little Mark II since taking the upright into a Guitar Center won't really tell me much. If you can get a chance to play one I'd definitely check it out. My reference amplifiers are the two different Walter Woods amps a MI-400-8 and the Electro Acoustic Ultra.

Ric

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    There's been several threads on this. I believe Marco Panascia endorses and uses them. Macmrkt has done some threads on this too. Just do a quick search and you should come up with some info.

4. FWIW, I tried a markbass combo with my DB plugged straight in and it had a really middy honky sound, needing major eq-ing. I then tried using my Contra preamp, taking the signal from the effects send into the markbass combo, and the sound was great! Must have been the impedance mismatch thing going on.

5. Markbass has a weird EQ w/ two knobs that are not that intuitive in their operation compared to most amps. VLP and VLE??? One is a high end roll off, and the other is a mid scoop. unless both of these knobs are turned all the way down it's gonna sound weird w/ DB. When I tried one, i made sure both these knobs were turned all the way down, and the other EQ knobs centered, and i think they sound really good.

Johnny

6. Yes, flat these amps sound great for URB - a much better sound than I got from my EA (although I'll admit to being a bit of a knob-o-phobe, and the voicing switches and semi-para eq on the iAmp sometimes left me a bit at sea). I end up using just a touch of both the VLE and VLP, but I think that's very dependent on the cab you're using. Overall I'm VERY happy.

7. Drucocu

Drucocu

Jan 24, 2007
    VLE = Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator
    (simulates old loudspeakers)
    VPF= Variable Preshape Filter
    (raises treble and bass, lowers mids)

In my eyes, VERY userfriendly amps, I leave my EQ mostly flat, and just toy with these to knobs around...

8. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    I use a LMII with an EA CXL112 for most of my gigs. It really just aplifies what you are playing. I set it pretty much flat and add just a hint of both knobs. Easy to operate and sounds awesome! Other URB players have used my rig at mutiband gigs and they all love it. I went so far as to get another one and a wizzy 110 and a wizzy 112. I can play real small venues with the 110 set up and bigger venues with the two 12" cabs. I've used it in a really loud room and never had the amp past 12 oclock. I highly recommend these amps and the EA cabs are a great match for them.

9. Hey Brian,
    I believe Bobby Kokinos is using one...might be worth calling him up.

Let me know what you think.

10. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    The Markbass LMII shines because it is in the same tonal class as the best DB (and BG) heads at any price - WW, AI and EA...and it has the headroom to play nearly as loud or louder than model by any of these esteemed makers.

On top of that, it's really well made, is nearly 100% reliable and is made in Italy. And the company has a wonderful customer service track record.

Here's the kicker - it costs $599 and you can get one at your local Guitar Center.

I guess that's why it's gaining so many fans.

11. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    How long has the company been in business, do you know mac? Or anyone? And how long has the LM II been commercially available?

12. Peter Murray

Peter Murray Commercial User

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Artist Relations and Social Media Manager, Pigtronix and Supro
    Hi Steve,
    The company has been around since 2001, although Marco de Virgiliis was building bass amps and cabinets for several years before that under the name Audiophile (for Ernie Ball) and before that under the name Parsek.
    The Little Mark II was introduced at the January 2005 NAMM show, but only became available in the US when the Markbass product line was launched in the Guitar Center in August, 2006.
    If you need any further info, please let me know!
    Best,
    Peter

13. No more talk - just buy! :hyper:

14. Reuben

Reuben Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I went to my local Guitar Center and they didn't have any Markbass gear at all. So, I looked at the Guitar Center website. No mention of Markbass anywhere on it.

How does this company survive when it's so hard to buy their amps? I haven't seen anywhere online in the US to buy them.

15. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    i tried to try one out at the guitar store with my upright, but couldn't hear myself think with all the nonsense going on. i mihgt pick one up to try out and take it back if it's no good.

16. Available in the US only from select Guitar Centers.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/amps/markbass/
    Stocking stores:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/amps/markbass/index.cfm?tabgray=4
    Looks like the closest store to you would be in Manhatten.

One of the most dangerous times to a smaller company is when they ramp up production to supply a larger market. Demand is high and the pressure is on to "just ship it!" and damn the quality assurance. From what I can tell Mbass is taking the slow but sure path.

Note: the Little Mark II didn't work out for me (failed with my Acme B2), but I was impressed by both the ease of use of the amp and the Mark Bass presence here on Talk Bass (Peter Murray).

Joe

17. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Brian,
    I really sympathize with you. With all the noise at a typical Guitar Center it's impossible to evaluate a amplifier. That's why I'm wating to visit my friend who owns one and use it on a gig. I did have one thought though, all Guitar Centers have a "acoustic room" mabey you could move the amplifier in there, just a thought.

Ric

18. I run a Little Mark II with 1 Epifani UL110 for small bands and 2 for big bands.

I run the LMII mainly flat sometimes rolling off the lows a bit depends on the stage.

I'd have to agree the Markbass cabs sound a little "boxy" but the LMII paired with the Epi's sound great in my opinion. Very well defined and clear with both upright and electric. Thats what I really like about the head itself. When I do doubling gigs, I can just unplug one and plug in the other without messing with the EQ..

Only complaint I have about the LMII is lack of mute button for those who double. I got around this, though, by buying a Planet Waves "Circuit Breaker" cable which has a mute inline.

If you have any specific questions, let me know..

19. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Hey Joe. Actually, from looking at all the new products they have introduced in say the last year from their web site and NAMM write-ups and such, to me I thought their overall company ramp up was pretty rapid. Maybe this expansion in design, QA & production of several new products was handled very thoughtfully and was well coordinated, and they are well-equipped to support it. Or maybe these products have a longer history, but just have not been available in the U.S. Truthfully I don't know.

Certainly most of the things I have read in this forum have definitely been quite positive. I'll keep reading if you guys keep posting ...