Market Adjustment

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Dean, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Wow! There have been some amazing basses for sale on TB that have been going unsold. In the past these basses, retailing in the $4-5k range would have sold quickly in the $3-4k range. Now they get endless bumps, but no bites. I would love to buy one of those AC basses that have been showing up and probably would have a year ago. But now I just watch and wish.

Does anyone think that we're going to see a market adjustment in the price of these fine instruments?

Matt

2. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Yep, It's the wise buyer season and hard times the sellers.
    Lakland was one of the first big names who makes on time changes from "expensive and/or exotic" to more affordable bass lines. Elrick, MTD, KS, Zon, Sadowsky...

3. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    It's not a matter of price, it's a matter of priority and right now, basses are not on anyones priority list. You can knock hundreds of dollars off items but if nobody is buying you just won't sell it. I just went through this with a EBMM Sterling. It's a tough market out there!

4. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (10/14/09 - 12/16/19)
    Human beings are truly amazing creatures...every time markets crash, people always forget that they go back up. This time it will be no different and 5 years from now everyone will be talking about the time they passed up a great NYC Sadowsky or Fodera or (you insert name here) for a ridiculously low price...

In times like this, the smart money buys...a year ago was the time to be selling...

5. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    I've read about similar market stories during WWII, expensive violins and museum's items selling for nothing and victims of hoarder collectors.

6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I think I'll try to save some money and maybe buy something later this year...

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Agreed, but many people like myself are investing in mutual funds or other investments that are down 40+% in the last 12 months with growth potential. Not tons of musical instruments.

I am still buying the odd bass if the price is right, but it has to be an outstanding deal.

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm still buying basses. :)

9. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Inactive

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    ?

10. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Inactive

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    I am spinning The Beatles tune "Something" as performed by Booker T. And The MG's....

I suggest everyone does the same...or something like that. :bassist:

11. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The "great depression" lasted for much longer than five years.
    Once you've been wiped out, it doesn't matter if the markets
    come back in a few years. You've already lost everything.
    I sincerely hope you're right. But once you loose your house,
    car, 401K and investments, a good deal on a bass just doesn't
    seem that important. The new status symbol....having a job.

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Oh I know very well markets go back up, and I know now is the time to buy dirt cheap.
    But this time around, my line of work (I do truck repair) has suffered from people not spending money on their vehicles, so I don't have any extra spending cash for them like I used to. And in actuality, my line of work being in the automotive industry, I've recently seen so many repair shops have closed down, and even several major car dealerships have gone out of business...you bet I'm worried!
    Like debassr said; "it's a matter of priority right now", my priority is keeping a roof over the family's head.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021