1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Market for Stingray style bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thebassbuilder, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    45.7%
  1. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    Does anyone think there is a market for an aftermarket stingray style bass? Give options like pickups and electronics woods and so on?

2. If it looks like a Stingray you would probably get a call from Ernie Ball's lawyers as soon as the first picture was published. Like Rickenbacker I think they are very agressive about protecting their designs.

Rick B.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    There's sure a lot of them out there already. Heck, I have a Spector, Warwick, and Brubaker that are all Stingray based.

Maybe do a direct copy of Stingrays with options that EB won't do, such as normal string spacing, better hardware/electronics, fret options, neck shape options, high quality wood....

edit:
    RickBlair brings up a good point, but I think as long as you don't copy the headstock you'll be fine. 8 out of 10 basses has that basic P style body. Don't use an oval pickguard, either.

4. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    I hear that a lot that they are aggressive about their design but I think the only thing you cannot copy is the headstock. So is there anything they can do if the headstock shape is not used. Those options mentioned above is the idea.

5. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    No, be original...

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    There is a market for stingray-style basses but there are some pretty big players in there. Lakland and Modulus come to mind right away as having models quite clearly based on Musicman designs. So maybe what you should ask is whether you think there's a niche in that already existing market that you can fill.

7. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    Does everyone not see how many J and P style basses are out there? That market is so saturated these days. None of the mentioned ones offers one that looks like a true stingray.

8. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I wish somebody would do a Ric copy as good as Epiphone did the Hofner Viola copy. I feel like the vibe of the original was very present in the Epi copy, and I'm sure someone could trim some of the fat on a Ric bass to make it gutsy and affordable too. I see no reason at all why somebody couldn't do a Stingray copy and improve on it, a better neck and lighter weight would be nice in addition to better string spacing.

9. Alnico humbuckers wired in parallel in the bridge position are just plain cool.

10. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    I think there is a market for almost any type of bass. Ray's have a niche - and a lot of competitors already mentioned go as far and even further in a lot of ways.

Unique features will help distinguish a new bass... customization is a nice idea. It all depends on what's on offer and how much people will pay to have it. Also reputation and CS. Never underestimate the power of bad P.R., especially in a small company.

11. I honestly think that anyone who's really going for a Stringray will either buy an Ernie Ball or go for one of the already existing derivatives/analogues like a G&L.

EDIT: I'm not calling G&L a copycat, that would be absurd given the relationship of the companies' founders, I'm just saying that G&L fills a near-Stingray market going for something similar but different.

12. Skygonzo

Skygonzo

Jul 8, 2012
    Stingrays are hideous. Not Bongo hideous...but close.

13. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd rather have the real thing...

14. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Don't hold back man, tell us how you really feel :p

15. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    Not a big Bongo fan either. Love the SRay though. It is a very split group here and by the poll. The idea would be the option to offer pickups, electronics and woods or choice. So basically the body shape would be an SRay but everything else would be of own choice. Keep maybe the control plate and a p-guard that is similar to the S Ray. Don't you think a SRay with "Big Splits" and a pre of choice would be cool to see?

16. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    People who'd like a StingRay-like bass will probably just end up getting a StingRay.

17. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    yeah but IME neither of these come close to stingray tone. The modulus has a cool tone but is an animal all its own, And the lakland is disappointing in that the electronics are all wrong to cop a stingray tone plus the HB pup is way too close to the bridge to get anywhere near the correct sound.

18. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    also, I've always thought a fodera emperor with a single musicman style humbucker running though that pope preamp would sound amazing.

19. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    Does OLP come to mind? A licensed copy of the Stingray but I guess they went out of business.

20. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Pretty sure that this is against forum rules...:rollno: