1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

market price for MIJ 50th anniversary Ampeg AUB-1 BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1975Bassist, Nov 21, 2018.

1. 1975Bassist

1975Bassist Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Have any you fellows out there seen the 1996 MIJ Ampeg AUB-1 posted for sale (by a Japanese dealer) for $2400? $2400 includes a steep $120 shipping charge. Was wondering what "talk bass.com" supporting members would pay for this bass or have any idea where to go for accurate market pricing information. I already own a '67 AMUB-1 BASS which I paid $2600 for (but it needed and is getting an extensive first class re-paint) so must admit my interest is mostly from an esthetic interest. For me, that AUB/AMUB fretless "look" is mesmerizing and while weak on the volume end (which I offset via a Fishman bass preamp) is worth the investment.

thanks

2. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    If the '96 is the 50th anniversary tribute, wouldn't that mean the original came out in 1946?

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    We have a fair amount of information about these basses over on the two Love Of Ampegs threads. History and pictures. We call them the Japanese Ampegs. There are only a couple of them here in the US. I have one of the two prototypes in my own collection.

Basically, they were made in 1993 (if I remember correctly) and only sold in Japan for one year. Only a couple hundred were made. They are nice quality, and fairly true to the original Ampeg Scroll Bass dimensions and look. A nice generic Japanese electric bass that's cut to look like an Ampeg. Not bad basses, but they don't really sound or feel like the originals.

They aren't 50th anniversary models. That was in 1997, and the Scroll Basses in the '97 Classic Basses catalog were made by me.

What are the Japanese Ampegs worth? I dunno. I paid $400 for mine in 1996. One of the other owners paid $1400 for his within the last few years. There are only a couple of data points here in the US. $2400 sounds like too much, but that's Japan. For that price you can probably get a nice '66-'67 Ampeg.

4. 1975Bassist

1975Bassist Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Bruce, thank you so much. Have followed your work since 2008. A real inspiration in so many ways. and thanks for the quick update re market prices. You'r.e a first class dude and bass player