1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marketing a Special Event/Wedding Band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jarrett, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx
    I'm working with a group of guys that wants to put together a band that focuses more on party music rather than the more standard Texas Country or Classic Rock covers that are prevalent in the bars in my area. This format seems like it would lend itself better to parties, private events and weddings.

That said we are all coming from the bar and/or church scene and don't have much experience in the marketing of a special event/wedding band. I was wondering if those that have gone that route before might share some tips on getting something like that up and running. Thanks in advance.

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    A GOOD website would be a great start, and make sure when you search Google for wedding bands in the area that yours comes up.

Once you've got that down, you can start trying to get into the bridal shows in the area with a little booth. I'm not sure what they cost, but a lot of couples in my area go to them to see what is out there for vendors.

3. I'm always impressed with a good website, good demo or video's, good interaction with the audience, and a great songlist. For weddings, the standard crap you hear at every wedding should be in the songlist. Also do a search for other bands out there who do weddings & take their cue.

4. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    We're a wedding/coporate band. I get compliments from people who hire us on the completeness of information on our website. And we're on Gigmasters. Probably 50% of our gigs come from Gigmasters, but it takes a while to build a reputation there. We could easily play 3-4 weddings a month, but by personal choice, we only book once per month. There are going to be regional differences because we've noticed differences in playing Iowa, Minn and Illinois weddings from our home base in WI, not to mention even regional preferences within our state. But all the hard work in marketing ourselves this way was definitely worth it, even though it didn't happen overnight.