Marketing Failures

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Which basses past or present do you think are/were very good basses, but, didn't make it due to timing or marketing failures?

You probably know what I'm going to say; Epiphone Jack Casady. Without writting 10,000 words, it really mystifies me why a bass which is so good is marketed (or not marketed) by a Company as big as Gibson as though it's a minor instrument in their catalog. They used to run ads in Bass Player, but, they stopped about a year ago. Now, all you hear about them is at a forum like this. They're not so easy to locate if you want to buy one, people from other countries say they'd love to try/buy one, but, they're not even available where they live. I never took a marketing course, but, doesn't anyone from Gibson know that Talkbass or other bass forums exist? I mean, if they took 50 Casadys and sent them to 5 countries that don't carry them now, do they think they wouldn't be able to sell them? I could go on, but, I won't.

Your turn.
    Mike J.
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Kind of like Fender's Coronado series and the Bass V. It just didn't work.
  3. Gibson RD.

I read in Bassist that the ads Gibson used read "the bass you probably couldn't play- even if you afford it" -??????

Fender US Precision Plus (passive model from 91/92)

PJ config with 22frets and modernised body (but still with scratchplate).
    Fender should bring it back with the neck from the Precision Deluxe, and redesigned p/ups.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

DOH! Someone beat me to it!

The Gibson RD series bass and guitar were awesome instruments, particular the RD Artist bass with the Moog preamp. One of the best sounding rock 4 stringers I have ever played. Killer bass, excellent construction, giant headstock volute to make it somewhat immune to the tendency that most Gibsons have to snap off at the headstock. The Moog preamp gave this bass a unique tone, and it is my absolute favorite tone for hard rock or metal. I will own one someday.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    The MM Cutlass and Sabre didn't last too long either.
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Peavey's Cirrus gets much coverage here, but their other great bass (Millenium) seems to be AWOL.

Washburn's high end stuff, despite being wicked cool, gets absolutely no press.

And Gibson's bass promotion dept. has been sleeping on the job for the longest time.
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Cort's neck thru basses are actually pretty good, but, as for marketing, it seems like they don't give a rat's arse.
  8. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    The older model Kawai neck thru basses (looks like alembic). I found one in a shop for a steal in great shape and its a beast of a bass. The washburn Xb1000 model, it was the headless Washburn/Status. I found one in a pawn shop (also for a steal) and it is just a mean assed bass and fun to play.
  9. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think the RD didnt sell becuase of the body shape.
    I never see ads for Godin basses. From what Ive played these are damn nice basses for the money. Ive heard their a/e basses are very nice too.
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In the US, Status. I've had a very hard time coming by Status basses, until I found a few in Chicago. Each time I play one, I have to reconsider the whole "graphite-thing". They play VERY nicely and have tons of versatility in their tone. I don't know why they're not carried by many stores and advertised more in the US.

IMO, they're superior to Modulus, but Modulus owns the largest piece of the marketing pie (again, in the US).
  11. DeepBlueBass

Apr 28, 2000
    Dallas TX

Peavey's Cirrus gets much coverage here, but their other great bass (Millenium) seems to be AWOL.

I really don't think that the Millenium series is all that good. I think I have seen ads for the cirrus and I have a cirrus 6, and I stand by the cirrus, but the new millenium??? You simply can't compaire the two...maybe I'm biased :D
  12. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Another big flop was Fender's Performer Series from the mid 80's. These were ultra modern in design and equipped with onboard active electronics. It's too bad they were very short lived. With the design being such a radical departure for Fender, I guess musician's didn't take the product seriously.

One comment about Gibson's RD Artist. The reason that i've never bought one is because of the excessive weight of this animal (around 15 lbs). I love the look and sound of these babies, but the weight is a killer on the back.

13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Two that pop into my head immediately are Fender's Jazz Plus line (yes, I know I've been hyping them) and and Peavey's B-Quad series. Sometimes I guess you're too far ahead of the curve.
  14. Ampeg's basses, Hartke's basses.

I've never heard of anyone playing these, ever.
  15. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Have you seen what Hartke's charging for thier bass?! Good lord! :eek:
  16. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I've played an ampeg bass before.. I think it sounds great... but it was so tiny I was scared I would break it.
  17. -While we're on Peavey, I've gotta say that the G-series has been ignored after the glow from the great BP review faded.

-The Gibson SG-Z bass is pretty invisible. I doubt that more than 100 people have ever purchased one.

-Modulus doesn't seem to be marketing the Genesis series much lately. It doesn't seem to be that popular, which is sad because it's pretty innovative.

-The Yamaha TRB series has been sorely neglected. I guess John Patitucci doesn't carry the weight that he used to.

-The Ibanez signature models might as well not exist (except for the Fieldy K5, of course). Has anyone seen whether Doug Wimbish has gone back to Spector or not?
  18. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i'd say vaccaro basses
  19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Most have been said, but I can't believe the Yamaha Billy Sheehan sig doesn't sell better than it's an amazing bass. Very, very cool bass. As is the Nathan East model, but it's way overpriced.
  20. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    ibanez ATK. theyre still made, but not imported to the US anymore. There was a USA model for a while too. for what its worth, i am very suprised that ibanez has not continued to market the ATK in the US.