1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marketing myself

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by chubfarm2001, Dec 19, 2011.

1. This might be in the wrong forum, and if so, I apologize.

About 2 years ago I had the opportunity to go on 2 national tours with a band, and it was a blast. I learned a lot and really liked the life on the road. But that was short lived because the band broke up shortly after the last tour (I was just filling in for their original bassist). So basically, I want to get back into it. Is there away to market myself to touring bands in need of a bassist?

2. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    You can certainly try Craigslist, Bandmix, and other classifieds and band member search sites.

You can certainly create a website, facebook, bandmix, myspace or whatever to display your pix, videos, and audio files.

But in my experience, the #1 way to land gigs is to go out there, meet people, and play with them. Repeat this process again and again.

3. Thank you. I live in a pretty inactive area, but I definitely will make some pages across those suggested sites and hit up shows when I can. I consider myself a pretty versatile player, so should I make demos from multiple styles?

4. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Always showcase what your strengths are. Demo away!

5. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Sure, it will help to make demos across multiple styles. But, the demo is only a part of it. It may get your foot in the door, or make you appear more legit. But in the end, it still helps to meet with people face-to-face.

My personal experience......
    I've done the website and demo thing. It worked for me with mixed results. But, what really worked was going out and playing with different bands to really show them your versatility and professionalism. After a while, your reputation and your ability will get your further than a website or demo.

I have sent out links to my website and demo, and got responses as well as no responses. But when I have contacted someone personally, most of the time I will get a response. Belly-to-belly marketing works much better than mass marketing for this type of thing. In the end, you'll probably only be able to tour with one band at a time, so it's more important to get the right opportunity than a bunch of them. You are selling yourself, a unique individual, not a carbonated drink or candy bar.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If I was planning a tour, I wouldn't plan it without a bassist (or other key instrumentalist). You may have gotten lucky with your first gig. Just be active in your scene (attend shows, play in a popular local band, record albums), do a little web-based marketing.

Maybe someone can recommend you an Agency...

7. Thank you again. The reason I got to go on those tours before was because I played with them in separate bands years before and they remembered me, so its pretty much what your talking about. I just didn't know if contacting touring agencies or labels as a bassist-for-hire would be an option.

8. slaps76

slaps76

Jul 10, 2008
    Medford, MA
    I'm not in your boat, but I definitely think a personal website is important for what you're trying to do. Shows professionalism and a place you can showcase your talents. Use facebook too, but don't rely only on that, since you never know when it will go the way of Myspace.

9. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    It may go the way of MySpace, but I find Facebook to be an excellent tool for a musician. In the last year, I've used Facebook to find musicians, bands, and gigs more often than Craigslist and with much better results. Honestly, I hope that my network of Facebook musicians grows to a point that I will never have to use Craigslist again.

10. slaps76

slaps76

Jul 10, 2008
    Medford, MA
    I agree....I've used facebook to network and it's let me keep in touch with musicians I normally would have lost contact with.

11. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I would think when responding to ads, saying you just finished coming off a national tour would carry a lot of leverage.

12. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Easiest way to find a gig is to already have one. Most of my gigs come from people who have seen me out with other groups.

Last night I played a monthly Sunday gig with a guy I've played with about 4 times. The money's not great, $50 a man plus we split the tips 5 ways for an hour or so set. But everyone in the band is pretty well connected, and you never know who'll be in the audience. Last night it was the special events coordinator for a local company, he frequently gets a list of songs for weddings and such and calls individual players to put together a band and play that list. These gigs are $1000-$1500 per man.

Anyway, he got my card and wants to use me (and possibly my personal band) for some of that stuff. All because I didn't turn my nose up at a $50 gig.

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Theres a number of ways to market yourself.
    1. Get a gig. It's easier to market yourself if people can see you play
    2. Get a professionally made website. This should be separate from Facebook. You should have samples, pictures and references.
    3. Use facebook to network with other musicians and announce your upcoming gigs.
    4. Network with the local scene. Open mics, local music shops, anywhere where musicians may hang out.
    5. Watch craigslist, bandmix and local channels for bassist auditions. This is a longshot, but some touring bands DO use this resourse.

Opportunities can come from almost anywhere, so best to try to cover your basses. I would tell you this: most people are pretty leary of the claims people make on craigslist. Simply saying "I was on a national tour" usually means "I've been in a band, and one time we crossed state lines." If you're going to make these claims, be prepared to back them up. Don't rely on that type of claim to get anyone to respond to your ad.