1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marking Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by gr8bassplayer, Mar 18, 2013.

1. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

Feb 12, 2013
    Nebraska
    Hi all,

Just a quick question. Is it rude to mark your music during a rest, while others are playing? I'm wondering because I've heard it both ways. I believe it should be fine, but what are your thoughts on it?

2. You mean during rehearsal? The first day you see the book? I don't think it's rude. No.

3. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's very rude, but every time I request the conductor to please hold on so that I might circle some important items, she gives me this awful glare. One of these days that lady is going to be waving away and all of the sudden she's gonna hear this awful scribbling noise... that'll get her.

4. All kidding aside, feel free to scribble away at any time during the rehearsal...that's what they're for. I would definitely avoid talking during rests or while the conductor is rehearsing another section, and as an old fart, I would go so far as to say that texting, checking e-mail, FB updates etc on your smart phone during rests is also pretty rude. A silent activity, sure, but shows disrespectful disengagement from the larger task.

5. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mr. Goodbar makes an excellent point about phones. Holy crap, the nerve of some people. I have, at work, seen editors giving assistant editors free expert advice, and the dumb **** assistant takes their phone out and starts diddling with it. Some people are just not able to generalize their manners!

6. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feb 9, 2009
    Yeah, definitely not. A lot of conductors will yell at you if you aren't working on writing in bowings, etc when you're not playing, at least in my experience.