$$ Markup on new amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DirtDog, Jun 13, 2002.

1. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I'm in the market for an upgrade to a semi-pro rig and am currently shopping around at local retailers (medium sized chains - we've got no real independant shops in this area).

My question is how much of a margin is there on new equipment (guitars and amps) in the new equipment retail market so that I can haggle??

I'm specifically looking at the SWR and Ampeg lines if it makes any difference.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Almost all gear, whether basses or amps, is wholesaled at 50% of list. So an amp that lists at $1000 costs the dealer $500 to buy.

A typical discount is about 30% of list, look at the usual mail order catalogs and you'll see this is the case. A really good deal would be 60% of list or less.

Note that while that makes it look like the dealer made $200 in profit if he sells that $1000 amp for $700, he has his bills to pay so his actual profit on the amp might only be about $50.
  3. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    You should be able to expect at least 30% off list. Keep in mind some dealers have been known "fudge" that MSRP a bit (in otherwords, find out the MSRP of the product from the manufacturer beforehand).

There may also be other incentives or deterrents that may determine how much a dealer is willing to haggle...

- How long the item has been sitting around in the store.

- Is it a popular (i.e. easy to sell) item or not?

- Are you paying Cash or credit?

- Is there a lot of competition from other dealers in the general area that sell the same product?

- Does the manufacturer put restrictions on pricing?

- How good (or bad) his sales figures have been this week, month, year...

- Frank.